Undergraduate Academic Advising
The CEG Undergraduate Academic Advising team is dedicated to supporting students in Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering in their educational pursuits. The student-advisor partnership can have an important impact on a student’s academic success and we encourage students to utilize the advising resources in planning an all-around enriching educational experience here at OSU. For more information regarding academic advising and student resources please visit Engineering Advising.
The CEG Undergraduate Academic Advising Office is located in 495 Hitchcock Hall. The Advising Office is open during normal University hours and during academic breaks, but not during University holidays.
Advising Office Front Desk - (614) 288-7506
Due to an overwhelming request by our students to have more accessibility to appointments with advisors, several changes have been made to how we see students. We are no longer holding walk-in hours, but have switched to 15 and 30-minute appointment options.
Current OSU undergraduate students (Columbus Campus) are asked to submit a schedule and advising appointment through OnCourse. Students can set up text and email reminders for appointments, as well as read any notes left for you by an advisor.
15-minute appointments will function the same way that walk-ins have functioned in that past: students are to use this request for single semester course planning, graduation, and other quick questions.
Students who need to speak to an advisor for long-term course planning, financial aid appeals, reinstatement petitions, etc. are required to schedule a 30-minute appointment with advisors.
PLEASE NOTE: If you schedule a 15-minute appointment, you MUST arrive on time for your appointment. Any student who arrives more than 5 minutes late will be asked to reschedule their appointment.
Current Students (Columbus Campus)
*If you cannot make an appointment, please make sure to cancel or otherwise notify your advisor*
Appointment requests can be made for 15 or 30-minutes. Most advising issues can be resolved with a 15-min appointment. Please see below for information.
- 15-Minute Appointment – Please request a 15-min appointment for single semester course planning, graduation, and other quick questions/concerns. Please select "scheduling" as your appointment reason.
- 30-Minute Appointment – Please request a 30-min appointment with an advisor if you are planning for more than one semester of courses, if you are planning to change from another major into CEG, have a reinstatement petition or finanical aid appeal, or if you have personal concerns you would like to discuss. For students planning only one semester of scheduling, please request a 15-min appointment. Please select "degree planning" as your appointment reason.
You will receive an email confirmation as soon as you schedule your appointment. Students should plan to meet with advisors early in the semester when possible.
Current Students (Regional Campus) & Returning Students
*If you cannot make an appointment, please make sure to cancel or otherwise notify the advisor*
All other students, including regional campus students, and returning students, can schedule an appointment with any of the CEGE Academic Advisors. Once your appointment has been scheduled, you will receive an email confirmation.
Prospective High School and Transfer Students
Please visit https://advising.engineering.osu.edu/prospective-students/visit-campus for information on scheduling a visit.
If you have a quick question and you don’t want to schedule an appointment, please feel free to email your advisor. Please do not email complicated scheduling questions. If you’d like to schedule an appointment with an advisor, it is recommended that you email at least 3 business days prior. Pleae make sure to always include your name.# as well as appropriate contact information.
Why meet with an academic advisor?
- Request information about academic programs
- Clarify academic requirements, policies and procedures
- Discuss academic difficulties and concerns
- Long-term course planning and assistance with filling out forms
What is the student’s role in the advising partnership?
- Know curriculum, audit academic records and complete program requirements
- Understand how actions affect your status
- Come to advising appointments prepared (DARs printed, forms filled out as necessary, course projections completed, etc.
- Ask questions and seek help before a situation escalates
What is the advisor’s role in the advising partnership?
- Provide accurate information
- Listen to concerns, provide guidance and make referrals
- Assist with course planning, help with goal setting, encourage career exploration