You are here


Minors add breadth and coherence to an undergraduate education. In conjunction with a major field, a minor can help students achieve a more well-developed expertise in related areas of study.

Alternately, a minor can be used to achieve a well-rounded, broadened course of study that  allows students to cultivate interests separate from their declared major. 

Most minor programs at OSU are between 12-18 hours.  Taking additional hours may add time to your degree. Students should work with their minor program and major academic advisor to determine how a minor may impact your time to degree.

The Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering currently offers the following minor programs:  

Surveying & Mapping

This minor program is designed for students within Civil Engineering who have a professional interest in land surveying and plan to take the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) exam upon completion of the minor.  This minor is one of the few that makes students eligible for licensure upon completion. Download the surveying and mapping minor form here.

  • In order to enroll in these minor courses, students must have completed Math 1172 or 2153 and Civil Engineering 2410.  
  • Students are able to double-count or overlap certain courses towards both the Civil Engineering major and the Surveying & Mapping minor.  You should speak with one of the advisors in order to determine which courses can be double-counted or overlapped, and which schedule would work best for you.
  • Students who wish to declare this minor should contact Barry Tolchin ( or Mary Leist ( in order to register for the required courses.

For more information on becoming a Professional Surveyor in the State of Ohio, please visit

Environmental Engineering

This program is designed for students from across the University who have an interest in obtaining an introduction to issues such as sustainability, pollution prevention and environmental modeling.  Download the environmental engineering minor form here.

  • Engineering students must have credit for Math 1151 and Chemistry 1250 (or 1210 and 1220) prior to beginning the minor
  • Non-Engineering students must have credit for Math 1151 and Chemistry 1220 prior to beginning the minor
  • Once you have credit for these courses please contact Barry Tolchin ( or Mary Leist ( to discuss declaring the Environmental Engineering minor.