Current Civil or Environmental Engineering Students (Undergraduate ONLY)
All students who have declared their interest in civil or environmental engineering, but have not yet been admitted to the major are designated as pre-major students. Pre-major students are woking toward the completion of the pre-requisite coursework. Because admission to the major is competitive, it is important that pre-major students closely monitor their EPHR (eligibility point-hour ratio) and see their academic advisor if they experience any academic struggles.
Pre-major students are also encouraged to start exploring the opportunities available to them outside of their coursework, such as student project teams, the Engineering Co-op & Internship Program, or other university organizations.
New first-year students
Ohio State’s office of admissions is the primary resource for the application process and handles direct enrollment for undergraduate students into the College of Engineering.
Direct enrollment of New First Year Students (NFYS) to the College of Engineering is competitive and requirements are designed to identify students who are prepared for the rigors of engineering study. Factors considered include ACT/SAT scores (emphasis on math), strong college prep curriculum (emphasis on math, science and rigorous courses), and class rank or GPA. The middle 50% of directly enrolled students for autumn 2016 had an ACT score range of 29-33 and 98% were in the top 25% of their high school classes. Students not eligible to directly enroll in the College of Engineering may enroll in Science and Technology and Environmental Exploration (this applies to domestic students only).
Admitted students enroll as pre-majors and apply to enter the major when prerequisite coursework has been completed.
For general information for Ohio State future students, visit: undergrad.osu.edu.
The most current university admission information and criteria for first-year students is available at undergrad.osu.edu. International first-year students should also visit undergrad.osu.edu/admissions/international for admissions information.
International new first-year students: Admitted international first-year students must meet the direct enrollment criteria
Enrollment for transfer students in the College of Engineering is competitive. For students transferring from another institution of higher education:
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described in the previous sections.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours and a GPA at your previous institution of 3.0 or higher, and have completed college level calculus you will be directly enrolled as a pre-major in the program of your choice. You may not enter as an undeclared pre-major.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours but do not meet the 3.0 GPA, you will be enrolled in Science, Technology and the Environment Exploration.
The most current University admission information and criteria for transfer students is available at undergrad.osu.edu/apply/transfer.
International Transfer Students
All international transfer students will be reviewed for direct enrollment in the College of Engineering as a pre-major of the student’s choice based on the criteria listed below. International students may not enter as an engineering undeclared pre-major.
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described above for new first-year students.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours (or the equivalent), then you must have:
- A minimum GPA of a 3.0 or higher from previous institutions, and
- Earned a score of L (Calculus level) on the Math Placement Exam or have completed college level theoretical calculus. (Business calculus coursework does not qualify.)
International transfer students should also visit undergrad.osu.edu/apply/international-transfer.
Internal transition from another Ohio State college or regional campus
Current Ohio State students on the Columbus campus must meet these requirements for admission into the College of Engineering pre-major program:
- 2.5 Ohio State GPA
- C- or higher in Math 1151
- Credit for one of the following courses: Chemistry 1210, Chemistry 1250, Physics 1250, Biology 2100
- 1 semester of full-time enrollment as an undergraduate student at Ohio State
Students enrolled in the College of Engineering who start on the regional campus must meet the campus change requirement before starting on the Columbus campus.
Students who meet the admission criteria and wish to enroll in the College of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering should contact an academic advisor to schedule an appointment.