Prospective Undergraduate Students
New first-year students
Ohio State’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions is the primary resource for the application process and handles direct enrollment for undergraduate students into the College of Engineering.
Direct enrollment of New First Year Students (NFYS) to the College of Engineering is competitive and requirements are designed to identify students who are prepared for the rigors of engineering study. Factors considered include:
- ACT/SAT scores (emphasis on math)
- Stong college prep curriculum (emphasis on math, science and rigorous courses)
- Class rank or GPA
First-year students admitted to the College of Engineering in autumn 2018 posted average ACT scores of 30.8. Students not eligible to directly enroll in the College of Engineering may enroll in Science and Technology and Environmental Exploration (this applies to domestic students only).
All new students, including transfer students, admitted to the College of Engineering, are classified as pre-major students. Transition to major student status generally occurs in the second year of studies and after formal application to your program of interest.
Admitted, international new first-year students must meet the direct enrollment criteria. International first-year students may visit undergrad.osu.edu/apply/international-freshmen for admissions information.
Enrollment for transfer students in the College of Engineering is competitive. For students transferring from another institution of higher education:
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in engineering as described in the previous sections.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours and a GPA at your previous institution of 3.0 or higher, and have completed college level calculus, you will be directly enrolled as a pre-major in the program of your choice. You may not enter as an undeclared pre-major.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours but do not meet the 3.0 GPA, you will be enrolled in Science, Technology and the Environment Exploration.
The most current University admission information and criteria for transfer students is available at undergrad.osu.edu/apply/transfer.
International Transfer Students
All international transfer students will be reviewed for direct enrollment in the College of Engineering as a pre-major of the student’s choice based on the criteria listed below. International students may not enter as an engineering undeclared pre-major.
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described above for new first-year students.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours (or the equivalent), then you must have:
- A minimum GPA of a 3.0 or higher from previous institutions, and have
- Earned a score of L (Calculus level) on the Math Placement Exam or have completed college level theoretical calculus. Business calculus coursework does not qualify.
International transfer students may visit undergrad.osu.edu/apply/international-transfer for more information.