You are here
- Home >
- Directory >
- Alper Yilmaz
- Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
- Professor, Computer Science & Engineering
214C Bolz Hall
2036 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
- Computational models for image and video understanding
Honorable Mention, Masao Horiba Award, Horiba Ltd., Japan.
Lumley Interdisciplinary Research Award, College of Engineering, The Ohio State University.
President and Provost's Leadership Institute, The Ohio State University.
Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Lumley Research Award, College of Engineering, The Ohio State University.
Duane C. Brown Photogrammetry Senior Award, The Ohio State University.
Hillman Fellowship for Excellence in Research, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Central Florida.
Merit Graduate Fellowship, University of Central Florida.
Honors Fellowship for Academic Excellence, Turkish Informatics Foundation.
- 2014. "Learning Social Relations from Videos: Features, Models and Analytics." In Human-Centered Social Media Analytics, edited by Y.R. Fu and S. Rees,
- 2012. "Object Tracking." In Video Analytics for Business Intelligence, edited by C. Shan, F. Porikli, T. Xiang and S. Gong,
- 2012. "Robotic Hardware and Software Integration for Changing Human Intentions." In Prototyping of Robotic Systems: Applications of Design and Implementation, edited by T. Sobh, X. Xiong,
- 2011. "Detecting and Tracking the Action Content." In Computer Analysis of Human Behavior, edited by Albert Ali Salah and Theo Gevers,
- 2009. "Active Contours: Snakes." In Wiley Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, ISBN: 978-0471383932, edited by Benjamin W. Wah,
- 2009. "Level Set Methods." In Wiley Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, ISBN: 978-0471383932, edited by Benjamin W. Wah,
- 2009. "Contour Tracking." In Wiley Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering, ISBN: 978-0471383932, edited by Benjamin W. Wah,
- S. HosseinyAlamdary and A. Yilmaz, 2017, "A Bayesian Approach to Traffic Light Detection and Mapping." ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing ?, ? - ?.
- Anuchit Sukcharoenpong ; Alper Yilmaz; Rongxing Li, 2016, "An Integrated Active Contour Approach to Shoreline Mapping using HSI and DEM." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 54, no. 3, 1586-1597 - 1586-1597.
- B. Abayowa, R. Hardie and A. Yilmaz, 2015, "Automatic Registration of Optical Aerial Imagery to a LiDAR Point Cloud for Generation of City Models." ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 106, 68-81 - 68-81.
- Li,Rongxing; He,Shaojun; Skopljak,Boris; Meng,Xuelian; Tang,Pingbo; Yilmaz,Alper; Jiang,Jinwei; Oman,Charles,M; Banks,Martin; Kim,Sunah, 2014, "A Multisensor Integration Approach toward Astronaut Navigation for Landed Lunar Missions." JOURNAL OF FIELD ROBOTICS 31, no. 2, 245-262 - 245-262.
- D. Zamalieva and A. Yilmaz, 2014, "Background subtraction for the moving camera: A geometric approach." COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 127, 73-85 - 73-85.
- Zamalieva,Daniya; Yilmaz,Alper; Aldemir,Tunc, 2013, "A probabilistic model for online scenario labeling in dynamic event tree generation." RELIABILITY ENGINEERING & SYSTEM SAFETY 120, 18-26 - 18-26.
- Mandelli,Diego; Yilmaz,Alper; Aldemir,Tunc; Metzroth,Kyle; Denning,Richard, 2013, "Scenario clustering and dynamic probabilistic risk assessment." RELIABILITY ENGINEERING & SYSTEM SAFETY 115, 146-160 - 146-160.
- L. Ding, A. Yilmaz and R. Yan, 2012, "Interactive Image Segmentation Using Dirichlet Process Multiple View Learning." IEEE Trans. on Image Processing
- Mitra,Kinshuk; Melvin,James; Chang,Shufang; Park,Kyoungjin; Yilmaz,Alper; Melvin,Scott; Xu,Ronald,X, 2012, "Indocyanine-green-loaded microballoons for biliary imaging in cholecystectomy." JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL OPTICS 17, no. 11, 116025 - 116025.
- Yilmaz,Alper, 2011, "Kernel-based object tracking using asymmetric kernels with adaptive scale and orientation selection." MACHINE VISION AND APPLICATIONS 22, no. 2, 255-268 - 255-268.
- Srestasathiern,P; Yilmaz,A, 2011, "Planar shape representation and matching under projective transformation." COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 115, no. 11, 1525-1535 - 1525-1535.
- L. Ding and A. Yilmaz, 2010, "Interactive image segmentation using probabilistic hypergraphs." Pattern Recognition 43, no. 5, 1863-1873 - 1863-1873.
- Yilmaz,Alper; Shah,Mubarak, 2008, "A differential geometric approach to representing the human actions." COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 109, no. 3, 335-351 - 335-351.
- Yimaz,Alper; Shah,Mubarak, 2006, "Matching actions in presence of camera motion." COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 104, no. 2-3, 221-231 - 221-231.
- A. Yilmaz and M. Shah, 2006, "Matching Actions In Presence Of Camera Motion." COMPUTER VISION AND IMAGE UNDERSTANDING 104, no. 2-3, 221-231 - 221-231.
- A. Yilmaz, O. Javed and M. Shah, 2006, "Object Tracking: A Survey." ACM Journal of Computing Surveys 38, no. 4,
- Yilmaz,A; Li,X; Shah,M, 2004, "Contour-based object tracking with occlusion handling in video acquired using mobile cameras." IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON PATTERN ANALYSIS AND MACHINE INTELLIGENCE 26, no. 11, 1531-1536 - 1531-1536.
- A. Yilmaz, K. Shafique and M. Shah, 2003, "Target Tracking in Airborne Forward Looking Infrared Imagery." IMAGE AND VISION COMPUTING 21, no. 7, 623-635 - 623-635.
- C. Rao, A. Yilmaz and M. Shah, 2002, "View Invariant Representation and Recognition of Actions." International Journal of Computer Vision 50, no. 2, 203-226 - 203-226.
- A. Yilmaz and M. Gokmen, 2001, "Eigenhill vs. Eigenface and Eigenedge." Pattern Recognition 34, 181-184 - 181-184.
- J. Jiang and A. Yilmaz, "Persistent Feature Tracking Using Scene Geometry." Computer Vision and Image Understanding
- K. Mitra, J. Melvin, S. Chang, K. Park, A. Yilmaz, S. Melvin and R. Xu, "Indocyanine Green loaded microballoons for biliary imaging in cholecystectomy." Journal of Biomedical Optics
- D. Zamalieva, A. Yilmaz and T. Aldemir, "Scenario Labeling using a Hidden Markov Model for Assessment of Nuclear Plant State." Journal of Reliability Engineering & System Safety
- "Terrestrial and Airborne Video Understanding." 2007,
- "Sensor Fusion in Computer Vision." 2007, Presented at Remote Sensing and Data Fusion over Urban Areas,
- "Object Tracking and Action Recognition." 2008, Presented at Conf. on the Frontiers of Information Technology,
- "Scenario Aggregation, Forecasting and Learning for ReLap 7." 2009,
- "Mosaic Image Generation for the CLIF 2006/2007 Data." 2009, Presented at AFRL ATR Workshop,
- "Applications on AFRL CLIF Dataset." 2009,
- "Good Features to Track: A View Geometric Approach." 2011, Presented at CSR Workshop,
- "Unified Framework for Object Tracking and Action Recognition." 2006,
- "3D Volumetric Recovery using Voxel Division Techniques." 2011, Presented at ATR Center Summer Workshop,
- "Aggregation Forecasting and Learning in High-Dimensional Space." 2009, Presented at Idaho National Lab.s R7 Workshop,
- "Georegistration, Calibration and Dismount Categorization for Layered Sensing." 2010, Presented at AFRL Sensor's Directorate meeting,
Papers in Proceedings
- S. Deshpande and A. Yilmaz "A semi-automatic method to Hydro-flatten LiDAR data." in ASPRS Imaging & Geospatial Technology Forum. (4 2016).
- S. HosseinyAlamdary and A. Yilmaz "Traffic Light Detection Using Conic Section Geometry." in ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci.. (8 2016).
- Y. Zhang and A. Yilmaz "Structured light based 3D scanning for specular surface by the combination of gray code and phase shifting." in ISPRS Symposium. (8 2016).
- A. Gupta, H. Chang and A. Yilmaz. "GPS-Denied Geo-Localization Using Visual Odometry." in ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci.. (8 2016).
- Z. Zhang, J. Pei, D. Wang, C. Hu, J. Ye, Q. Gan, P. Liu, J. Yue, B. Wang, P. Shao, S. Povoski, E. Martin, Jr., A. Yilmaz, M. Tweedle and R. Xu "A Google Glass navigation system for ultrasound and fluorescence dual-mode image-guided surgery." in Photonics West. (3 2016).
- R.X. Xu, A. Yilmaz, P. Shao, Z. Zhang, W. Ren, P. Liu, J. Pei, T.F. Michael, S. Povoski, E. Martin "A wearable surgical navigation system for sentinel lymph node mapping and image-guided biopsy." in Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES) Annual Meeting. (10 2015).
- M. Alshahri and A. Yilmaz "A Robust Line Feature Matching Method In A Wide-Baseline View." in ASPRS Imaging & Geospatial Information Forum. (5 2015).
- D. Zamalieva, A. Yilmaz and J. Davis "A Multi-Transformational Model for Background Subtraction with Moving Cameras." in European Conference on Computer Vision. (9 2014).
- S. HosseinyAlamdary and A. Yilmaz "Motion Vector Field Estimation Using Brightness Constancy Assumption and Epipolar Geometry Constraint." (11 2014).
- D. Li, R. Li, A. Yilmaz "ESA ExoMars: Prelauch PanCam geometric modeling and accuracy assessment." in ISPRS Photogrammetric Computer Vision TCIII Midterm Symposium. (11 2014).
- RS Kim and A. Yilmaz "Spectral Matching using Bitmap Indices of Spectral Derivatives for the Analysis of Hyperspectral Imagery." in International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology. (6 2014).
- M. Al-Shahri and A. Yilmaz "Framework for Line Feature Matching Across Images." in ASPRS 2013 Annual Conference. (3 2013).
- H. Lee and A. Yilmaz "Intrinsic Color from a Single Outdoor Image." in ASPRS Annual Conference. (3 2012).
- D. Zamalieva, A. Yilmaz, T. Aldemir "Online Scenario Classification in Dynamic Event Tree Generation Using a Statistical Markov Model." in International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Thermal-Hydraulics, Operation and Safety. (9 2012).
- A. Durdu, I. Erkmen, A. Erkmen and A. Yilmaz "Morphing Estimated Human Intention via Human-Robot Interactions." in International Conference on Intelligent Automation and Robotics. (1 2011).
- H. Karimabadi, H. X. Vu1, B. Loring, Y. Omelchenko, T. Sipes, V. Roytershteyn, W. Daughton, M. Tatineni, A. Majumdar, U. Catalyurek and A. Yilmaz "Petascale Kinetic Simulation of the Magnetosphere." in TeraGrid Conference. (7 2011).
- T. Aldemir, U. Catalyurek, R. Denning, C. Smidts, X. Sun, A. Yilmaz "Method and Tool Development to Support Systematic Quantification of Uncertainties." in American Nuclear Society Topical Meeting. (6 2011).
- D. Mandelli, A. Yilmaz, K. Metzroth, T. Aldemir and R. Denning "DET and Scenario Aggregation and Analysis via Mean-Shift Methodology." in Proc. of Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management. (6 2010).
- K. Park and A. Yilmaz "Social Network Approach to Analysis of Soccer Game." in International Conference on Pattern Recognition. (8 2010).
- D. Mandelli, A. Yilmaz, K. Metzroth, R. Denning and T. Aldemir "DET and Scenario Aggregation: A Sensitivity Analysis." in Verification and Validation for Nuclear Systems Analysis Workshop. (6 2010).
- R. Li, S. He, B. Skopljak, J. Jiang, P. Tang, A. Yilmaz, M. Banks and C. Oman "Development of a Lunar Astronaut Spatial Orientation and Information System (LASOIS)." in ASPRS Annual Conference. (4 2010).
- I. Lee, S. He, P. Lai and A. Yilmaz "Building Point Grouping Using View-Geometry Relations." in ASPRS Annual Conference. (4 2010).
- K. Park and A. Yilmaz "A Social Netwotk Analysis Approach to Analyze Road Networks." in ASPRS Annual Conference. (4 2010).
- P. Lai and A. Yilmaz "A New Approach for Vanishing Line Estimation." in ASPRS Annual Conference. (3 2009).
- A. Yilmaz and G. Barsai "Object Recognition Using Angles in the Projective Plane." in American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Annual Conference. (3 2009).
- R. Li, B. Wu, B. Skolpjak, S. He, Y. Lee, A. Yilmaz, J. Jiang, M. Banks, C. Oman, and K. Bhasin "Prototype Development for a Lunar Astronaut Spatial Orientation and Information System (LASOIS)." in NLSI Lunar Science Forum. (6 2009).
- R. Li, K. Di, B. Wu, S. He, B. Skopljak, M. Tang, A. Yilmaz, M. Banks, C. Oman and K. Bhasin "LASOIS: Enhancing the Spatial Orientation Capability of Astronauts on the Lunar Surface." in NASA Lunar Science Conference. (7 2008).
- A. Yilmaz and G. Barsai "A View-Geometric Approach to View and Occlusion Invariant Geographic Shape Recognition and Retrieval." in International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing andSpatial Information Sciences. (7 2008).
- P. Lai and A. Yilmaz "Projective Reconstruction of Building Shape from Silhouette Images Acquired from Uncalibrated Cameras." in International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing andSpatial Information Sciences. (7 2008).
- A. Yilmaz "Sensor Fusion in Computer Vision." in IEEE GRSS/ISPRS Joint Workshop on Remote Sensing and Data Fusion over Urban Areas. (4 2007).
- A. Yilmaz, X. Li and M. Shah "Object Contour Tracking Using Level Sets." in Asian Conf. on Computer Vision. (1 2004).
- A. Yilmaz and M. Shah "Estimation of Arbitrary Albedo and Shape from Shading for Symmetric Objects." in British Machine Vision Conference. (9 2002).
- A. Yilmaz and M. Shah "Automatic Feature Detection and Pose Recovery for Faces." in Asian Conf. on Computer Vision. (1 2002).
- A. Yilmaz, K. Shafique, N. Lobo, T. Olson and M. Shah "Target Tracking in FLIR Imagery Using Mean-Shift and Global Motion Compensation." in IEEE Workshop on Computer Vision Beyond Visible Spectrum. (1 2001).
- A. Yilmaz and M. Shah "Shot Detection Using Principal Coordinate System." in IASTED Internet and Multimedia Systems and Applications Conference. (1 2000).
- A. Gupta and A. Yilmaz "Indoor Localization using Building Information Models." in ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on Indoor Spatial Awareness.
- C. Xiao and A. Yilmaz "Efficient Tracking with Distinctive Target Colors and Silhouette." in International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR).
- A. Yilmaz, N. Hall, Y. Lee, E. Martin, E. Ozer, R. Xu. "A Wearable Navigation System for Image-Guided Cancer Surgery (OSU TCO TechID: T2014-221)."
- Yilmaz, Alper; Martin, Edward. "A Wearable Computing System for Guided Pain-Management (TCO TechID: T2015-154)."
- A. Yilmaz, N. Hall, C. Hitchcock, Y. Lee, E. Martin, S. Nichols, E. Ozer, S. Povoski, J. Sachire, R. Xu. "A Wearable Integrated System of Augmented Reality for Targeted Pathologic Specimen Sampling (OSU TCO TechID: T2014-265)."
- A. Yilmaz, E. Martin, C. Hitchcock, S. Povoski, E. Ozer and R. Xu. "Methods and Systems for Performing Navigation-Assisted Medical Procedures." Patent number: 14/549,258
- A. Yilmaz and A. Gupta. "Systems, Methods, and Devices for Geo-Localization."
- A. Yilmaz, A. Gupta. "Topology Based Large Scale Indoor/Outdoor Geo-Navigation for Mobile Platforms Guided by GIS and BIM (OSU TCO TechID T2016-075)."