- Assistant Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
417C Hitchcock Hall
Columbus, OH 43210
Research Interest - Biotechnology, bioenergy, contaminants.
- 2016, "Redox Conditions Alter Biodegradation Rates and Microbial Community Dynamics of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid Organic Additives in Soil-Groundwater Microcosms." ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING SCIENCE 33, no. 10,
- 2016, "Microbial metabolisms in a 2.5-km-deep ecosystem created by hydraulic fracturing in shales." Nature Microbiology 1, no. 10,
- 2016, "Toxic cyanobacteria and drinking water: Impacts, detection, and treatment." HARMFUL ALGAE 54,
- 2016, "Hydraulic fracturing offers view of microbial life in the deep terrestrial subsurface." FEMS MICROBIOLOGY ECOLOGY 92, no. 11,
- 2015, "Piezoceramic membrane with built-in ultrasonic defouling." JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE 494,
- Kekacs,Daniel; Drollette,Brian,D; Brooker,Michael; Plata,Desiree,L; Mouser,Paula,J, 2015, "Aerobic biodegradation of organic compounds in hydraulic fracturing fluids." BIODEGRADATION 26, no. 4, 271-287 - 271-287.
- Kekacs,D, McHugh,M, Mouser,PJ, 2015, "Temporal and Thermal Changes in Density and Viscosity of Marcellus Shale Produced Waters." JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING 141, no. 12, 06015006 - 06015006.
- Qafoku N, Gartman B, Kukkadapu R, Arey B, Mouser PJ, Heald S, Williams KH, Resh C, Yabusaki S, Long PE, 2014, "Complex Uranium Interactions in a Multi-Element Contaminated, Subsurface Naturally Reduced Zone.." APPLIED GEOCHEMISTRY 14, 77-85 - 77-85.
- Brooker M, Bohrer G, Mouser PJ, 2014, "Microbial Factors Affecting Methane Emission in Wetland Sediments." JOURNAL OF ECOLOGICAL ENGINEERING 72, 84-94 - 84-94.
- Mouser PJ, N'Guessan AL, Qafoku N, Sinha M, Peacock A, Williams KH, Figueroa L, Long PE, 2014, "Influence of Carbon and Microbial Community Priming on the Attenuation of Uranium in a Contaminated Floodplain Aquifer." GROUNDWATER 10, 10 - 10.
- Cluff,Maryam,A; Hartsock,Angela; MacRae,Jean,D; Carter,Kimberly; Mouser,Paula,J, 2014, "Temporal Changes in Microbial Ecology and Geochemistry in Produced Water from Hydraulically Fractured Marcellus Shale Gas Wells." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 48, no. 11, 6508-6517 - 6508-6517.
- 2014, "Trends and future challenges in sampling the deep terrestrial biosphere." FRONTIERS IN MICROBIOLOGY 5,
- Bibby,Kyle,J; Brantley,Susan,L; Reible,Danny,D; Linden,Karl,G; Mouser,Paula,J; Gregory,Kelvin,B; Ellis,Brian,R; Vidict,Radisav,D, 2013, "Suggested Reporting Parameters for Investigations of Wastewater from Unconventional Shale Gas Extraction." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 47, no. 23, 13220-13221 - 13220-13221.
- 2011, "Genome-scale dynamic modeling of the competition between Rhodoferax and Geobacter in anoxic subsurface environments.." ISME J 5, no. 2,
- Pearce,Andrea,R; Rizzo,Donna,M; Mouser,Paula,J, 2011, "Subsurface characterization of groundwater contaminated by landfill leachate using microbial community profile data and a nonparametric decision-making process." WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH 47, W06511 - W06511.
- 2010, "Genome sequence of the deltaproteobacterial strain NaphS2 and analysis of differential gene expression during anaerobic growth on naphthalene.." PLoS One 5, no. 11,
- 2010, "Molecular analysis of phosphate limitation in Geobacteraceae during the bioremediation of a uranium-contaminated aquifer." ISME JOURNAL 4, no. 2,
- 2010, "Analysis of Biostimulated Microbial Communities from Two Field Experiments Reveals Temporal and Spatial Differences in Proteome Profiles." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 44, no. 23,
- Mouser,Paula,J; Rizzo,Donna,M; Druschel,Gregory,K; Morales,Sergio,E; Hayden,Nancy; O'Grady,Patrick; Stevens,Lori, 2010, "Enhanced detection of groundwater contamination from a leaking waste disposal site by microbial community profiles." WATER RESOURCES RESEARCH 46, W12506 - W12506.
- 2010, "Expression of acetate permease-like (apl ) genes in subsurface communities of Geobacter species under fluctuating acetate concentrations." FEMS MICROBIOLOGY ECOLOGY 73, no. 3,
- 2009, "Influence of Heterogeneous Ammonium Availability on Bacterial Community Structure and the Expression of Nitrogen Fixation and Ammonium Transporter Genes during in Situ Bioremediation of Uranium-Contaminated Groundwater." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 43, no. 12,
- 2009, "Proteogenomic Monitoring of Geobacter Physiology during Stimulated Uranium Bioremediation." APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY 75, no. 20,
- Mouser,Paula,J; Holmes,Dawn,E; Perpetua,Lorrie,A; DiDonato,Raymond; Postier,Brad; Liu,Anna; Lovley,Derek,R, 2009, "Quantifying expression of Geobacter spp. oxidative stress genes in pure culture and during in situ uranium bioremediation." ISME JOURNAL 3, no. 4, 454-465 - 454-465.
- Gotelli,Nicholas,J; Mouser,Paula,J; Hudman,Stephen,P; Morales,Sergio,E; Ross,Donald,S; Ellison,Aaron,M, 2008, "Geographic variation in nutrient availability, stoichiometry, and metal concentrations of plants and pore-water in ombrotrophic bogs in New England, USA." WETLANDS 28, no. 3, 827-840 - 827-840.
- Rizzo,Donna,M; Mouser,Paula,J; Whitney,David,H; Mark,Charles,D; Magarey,Roger,D; Voinov,Alexey,A, 2006, "The comparison of four dynamic systems-based software packages: Translation and sensitivity analysis." ENVIRONMENTAL MODELLING & SOFTWARE 21, no. 10, 1491-1502 - 1491-1502.
- Morales,Sergio,E; Mouser,Paula,J; Ward,Naomi; Hudman,Stephen,P; Gotelli,Nicholas,J; Ross,Donald,S; Lewis,Thomas,A, 2006, "Comparison of bacterial communities in New England Sphagnum bogs using terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP)." MICROBIAL ECOLOGY 52, no. 1, 34-44 - 34-44.
- Mouser,P,J; Rizzo,D,M; Roling,W,FM; van Breukelen,B,M, 2005, "A multivariate statistical approach to spatial representation of groundwater contamination using hydrochemistry and microbial community profiles." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 39, no. 19, 7551-7559 - 7551-7559.
- Mouser,P,J; Hession,W,C; Rizzo,D,M; Gotelli,N,J, 2005, "Hydrology and geostatistics of a Vermont, USA kettlehole peatland." JOURNAL OF HYDROLOGY 301, no. 1-4, 250-266 - 250-266.
- Mouser PJ, Liu S, Cluff MA, McHugh M, Lenhart JJ, MacRae JD,, "Biodegradation of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluid Organic Additives in Sediment-Groundwater Microcosms." Environmental Engineering Science
- "Characterization of Natural Organic Matter From A Uranium Contaminated Aquifer and its Utilization by Native Microorganisms." 2012,
- "Impact of Microbial Community Structure and Ammonium Transporter Genes During U(VI) Bioremediation." 2009,
- "Bacterial Community Structure and Metabolic State During Bioremediation of U-contaminated Groundwater." 2009,
- "Detecting Contamination and Assessing the Metabolic State of Bacteria in Polluted Environments." 2010,
- "Complex Systems Tools for Describing Spatiotemporal Changes in Microbial Community Dynamics in Subsurface Environments." 2011,
- "Detecting and Delineating Groundwater Contamination at a Leaking Waste Disposal Site using Microbial Community Profiles." 2011,
- "What is the Role of Microorganisms in Shale Energy Extraction Fluids? From Laboratory Experiments to Field-Scale Observations." 2013,
- "Microorganisms and Shale Energy Development: From Laboratory Experiments to Field–Scale Observations." 2013,
- "Microorganisms and Shale Energy Development: From Laboratory Experiments to Field–Scale Observations." 2014,
- "The Role of Microorganisms in Shale Energy Development: From the Lab to the Field." 2014,
- "Microbial Metagenomic Temporal Trajectory after Hydraulic Fracturing." 2014,
- "Biodegradability of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids by Wastewater Sludge and Sediment Microorganisms." 2014,
- "Biodegradability of Organic Additives in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids across Redox and Salinity Gradient." 2014,
- "Diving into shale – microbial travels and persistence in the hydraulic fractured ecosystem." 2016,
- "Microbial Modification of Natural and Anthropogenic Compounds in engineered systems." 2016,
- "Molecular-Based Microbiological Data in Detection and Long-Term Monitoring Strategies." 2005,
- "Gene Expression Patterns under Conditions of Oxidative Stress in Geobacter sulfurreducens." 2007,
- "Influence of Nitrogen on Microbial Ecology and Metabolic Condition of Bacteria During Uranium Bioremediation." 2010,
- "Using Multivariate and Spatial Statistics to Describe Spatiotemporal Changes in Microbial Ecology in Contaminated Environments." 2011,
- "Biotechnology Tools for Characterizing Microbial Ecology and Metabolic Condition in Freshwater Environments." 2011,
- "Detecting and Delineating Groundwater Contamination at a Waste Disposal Site using Microbial Community Profiles." 2011,
- "Shale Energy and Microbiology." 2012,
- "Biotechnology Tools for Characterizing Subsurface Environments." 2012,
- "Influence of Salinity, Concentration, and Redox on the Biodegradability of Organic Additives in Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids." 2015,
- "Comparison of Site Characterization Methods using Microbiological Profiles." 2004,
- "Impact of Microbial Community Structure and Ammonium Transporter Genes During U(VI) Bioremediation,." 2008,
- "Delineating the Extent of Groundwater Contamination and Examining the Physiological Status of in situ Bacteria Involved in Subsurface Bioremediation: Biotechnology Tools for Environmental Engineers." 2008,
- "Molecular-Scale Characterization of NOM From A Uranium Contaminated Aquifer." 2012,
- "Temporal Microbial Metagenomics Trajectory after Hydraulic Fracturing in Marcellus Shale." 2014,
- "The Impact of Fracking on the Microbiology of Deep Shale." 2015,
- "Microbial Degradation of Organic Chemical Additives in the Hydraulic Fracturing System." 2016,
- "Molecular-scale Characterization of Dissolved Organic Matter from a Uranium Contaminated Aquifer and its Utilization by Native Microbial Communities." 2011,
- "Biodegradability of Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids Under Natural Aquifer Conditions." 2013,
- "Environmental Biotechnology Research on Shale Energy and Microbes." 2013,
Papers in Proceedings
- Pearce, A; Mouser, PJ; Druschel, GK; Rizzo, D "Mapping Aquifer Zones Based on Microbial Ecology and Geochemistry in a Landfill Leachate Plume with a Self Organizing Map." in World Environmental and Water Resources Congress of the American Society of Civil Engineering. (10 2008). 7 - 7.
- Besaw, LE; Rizzo, DM; Mouser, PJ "Parameter Estimation Using an Artificial Neural Network to Incorporate Multiple Types of Data." in World Environmental and Water Resources Congress of the American Society of Civil Engineering. (10 2006). 8 - 8.
- Mouser, PJ; Rizzo, DM; Besaw, L "Improving Site Characterization and Classifying Attenuation Processes Using Microbiological Profiles, Geochemistry, and Artificial Neural Networks from Landfill-Leachate Contaminated Groundwater." in World Environmental and Water Resources Congress of the American Society of Civil Engineering. (10 2005). 8 - 8.
- Mouser, PJ and Rizzo, DM "Long-term Monitoring Implications Using Combined Geostatistics of Hydrochemistry and Microbial Community Fingerprinting at Waste Disposal Sites." in World Environmental and Water Resources Congress of the American Society of Civil Engineering. (10 2004). 8 - 8.