You are here
- Home >
- Directory >
- Allison MacKay
- Chair, CEGE, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
- Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
470C Hitchcock Hall
2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Professor Allison A. MacKay serves as Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering at The Ohio State University.
Dr. MacKay earned a B.A.Sc (with Honours) in Engineering Science from The University of Toronto and her MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. She completed her PhD in Environmental Engineering at MIT and later, conducted postdoctoral research at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station.
- Fate of contaminants in natural and engineered systems:
- Mechanism‐based research on sorption of organic and inorganic anthropogenic compounds
- Passive treatment of contaminants in stormwater
- Contaminant removal in drinking water treatment
- Contaminant hydrology and transport
- Emphasis on antibiotics, pharmaceuticals (EDCs), PAHs, arsenic, heavy metals
United Technologies Corporation Associate Professor in Engineering Innovation.
UCONN Faculty Environmental Policy Advisory Council Award.
Environmental Science & Technology Reviewer Award.
AEESP Poster Award.
Association of Professional Engineers of Ontario Admission Scholarship.
- Santoro,Carlo; Ieropoulos,Ioannis; Greenman,John; Cristiani,Pierangela; Vadas,Timothy; MacKay,Allison; Li,Baikun, 2013, "Current generation in membraneless single chamber microbial fuel cells (MFCs) treating urine." JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES 238, 190-196 - 190-196.
- Santoro,Carlo; Cremins,Matthew; Pasaogullari,Ugur; Guilizzoni,Manfredo; Casalegno,Andrea; MacKay,Allison; Li,Baikun, 2013, "Evaluation of Water Transport and Oxygen Presence in Single Chamber Microbial Fuel Cells with Carbon-Based Cathodes." JOURNAL OF THE ELECTROCHEMICAL SOCIETY 160, no. 7, G3128-G3134 - G3128-G3134.
- SANTORO,C; Ieropoulos,I; Greenman,J; Cristiani,P; VADAS,T; MacKay,A; Li,B, 2013, "Power generation and contaminant removal in single chamber microbial fuel cells (SCMFCs) treating human urine." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY 38, no. 26, 11543-11551 - 11543-11551.
- Pignatello,Joseph,J; Oliveros,Esther; MacKay,Allison, 2007, "Advanced oxidation processes for organic contaminant destruction based on the Fenton reaction and related chemistry (vol 36, pg 1, 2006)." CRITICAL REVIEWS IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY 37, no. 3, 273-275 - 273-275.
- S. Hertel, A.A. MacKay, 2006, Engineering and Human Rights: Teaching Across the Divide. Business and Human Rights Journal 1, 159-164 - 159-164.
- Figueroa,R,A; Mackay,A,A, 2005, "Sorption of oxytetracycline to iron oxides and iron oxide-rich soils." ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY 39, no. 17, 6664-6671 - 6664-6671.
- Boocock,D,GB; Konar,S,K; MacKay,A; CHEUNG,P,TC; Liu,J, 1992, "FUELS AND CHEMICALS FROM SEWAGE-SLUDGE .2. THE PRODUCTION OF ALKANES AND ALKENES BY THE PYROLYSIS OF TRIGLYCERIDES OVER ACTIVATED ALUMINA." FUEL 71, no. 11, 1291-1297 - 1291-1297.
- W. Jolin, M. Samaweera, D. Vasudevan, J.A. GascÃ³n, A.A. MacKay, "Role of inorganic exchange cation on the sorption of cationic amine compounds on montmorillonite." Environmental Science and Technology
- W. Jolin, D. Vasudevan, A.A. MacKay, "A Column Method for the Rapid Measurement of Sorption Coefficients." Environmental Science and Technology
- L. Bodhipaksha, C.M. Sharpless, A.A. MacKay, "Enhanced Photodegradation of Pharmaceutical Compounds with Increasing Effluent Organic Matter Contributions." Water Research
- A.A. MacKay, S. Hertel, "Integrating Social and Environmental Assessment in Engineering Practice." Environmental Engineering Science
- A.A. MacKay, E. Grulke, M. Apartsev, "Simulation of Organic Compound Degradation in Idealized River Systems Receiving Large Treated Wastewater Inputs." Water Research
- "â€œBiogeochemical Characterization of the Ground Water/Surface Water Interface: Potential Effects on the Fate of Arsenic." 2003, Presented at U.S. EPA National Center of Environmental Research, HSRC/ORD Scientist-to-Scientist Meeting,
- "Drugging Our Waters." 2006, Presented at River Network, RiverRally 2006,
- "Towards Universal Descriptors of Sorption for Ionogenic Organic Compounds: Insights from Antibiotic Sorption to Model Sorbents and Many Soils." 2006, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences: Water,
- "Coagulation/Flocculation Effects on Pesticide Removal." 2004, Presented at â€� U.S. EPA/ORD/Office of Science Policy, Drinking Water Treatment Scientist-to-Scientist Meeting,
- "Pharmaceutical Interactions with Natural Organic Matter." 2009, Presented at ACS 238th National Meeting, Geochemistry Division,
- "Mitigation of Contaminants." 2011, Presented at National Academies of Science and Engineering, Emerging Contaminants in Water Workshop,
- "Advancing Contaminant Sorption: Unconventional Sorbents and Unconventional Sorbates." 2014, Presented at ACS 248th National Meeting, Environmental Chemistry Division, â€˜Women in Environmental Engineering and Science,
- "Assessing Downstream Potential for Attenuation of Microconstituents in River Systems Receiving Moderate Wastewater Inputs." 2014, Presented at â€™14 Microconstituents Conference, New England Water Environment Association,
- "The Social Impact of Engineering: Insights from a first-time cross-disciplinary (Engineering- Human Rights) course at the University of Connecticut." 2015, Presented at Columbia Forum on Business and Human Rights,
- "Navigating the Early Years of Academia." 2011, Presented at AEESP National Meeting,
- "Insights into Organic Compound Interactions with Aluminosilicate Clay Mineral Surfaces." 2015, Presented at Goldschmidt 2015,
- "The Fate of Antibiotics in the Subsurface." 2008, Presented at â€�, New England Interstate Water Pollution Commission, 3rd Northeast On-Site Short Course and Equipment Exposition,
- "Fate of arsenic in the shallow groundwater/surface water interface." 2003, Presented at SETAC 24th Annual Meeting in N. America,
- "Fate of Arsenic at the Groundwater/Surface Water Interface." 2004, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Process vectors to determine the fate of arsenic at the groundwater/surface water interface." 2008, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Sorption of tetracycline and fluoroquinolone zwitterions to soils and soil minerals: Influence of compound structure." 2008, Presented at ACS Northeast Regional Meeting,
- "Seasonal Fate of Arsenic at the Groundwater/Surface Water Interface." 2009, Presented at ACS Northeast Regional Meeting,
- "Characteristics of Effluent Organic Matter." 2012, Presented at 2012 Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Evaluating Sources of Fluorescent Organic Matter in Effluent-Receiving Streams." 2013, Presented at Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources,
- "Colloid-enhanced solubilization of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons at a coal tar site." 1998, Presented at Gordon Research Conference Poster, Environmental Sciences,
- "Antibiotic mobility in soils." 2003, Presented at SETAC 24th Annual Meeting in N. America,
- "Veterinary antibiotic sorption to soil minerals." 2003, Presented at SSSA 2003 Annual Meeting,
- "Structure effects on sorption of compounds from tetracycline, fluoroquinolone and sulfonamide families." 2006, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Seasonal variation in arsenic sequestration at the groundwater/surface water interface of a closed landfill." 2006, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Environmental Fate of Pharmaceuticals â€“ The Sorption Story So Far..." 2004, Presented at Gordon Research Conference, Environmental Sciences,
- "Interactions of Fe3+ with azo dyes." 2000, Presented at Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference of Oxidative Technologies for Water and Wastewater Treatment,
- "Stability of sulfonated azo dyes in the presence of Fe(III)." 2001, Presented at International Conference on Advanced Oxidation Technologies for Water and Air Remediation,
- "Oxytetracycline sorption to montmorillonite." 2002, Presented at Gordon Research Conference Poster,
- "Triclosan â€“ An Emerging Contaminant in Thames River Effluent." 2014, Presented at Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources,
- "Role of Manure Biosolids in Antibiotic Soil Sorptionâ€�,." 2011, Presented at 241st ACS National Meeting,
- "Identification of Iron Oxidizing Bacteria at the Groundwater Surface Water Interface." 2005, Presented at 105th ASM General Meeting,
- "Attenuation of As transport by iron oxides at the groundwater surface water interface and possible microbial contribution." 2005, Presented at European Geosciences Union General Assembly,
- "Sorption Potential of Existing and Emerging Contaminants: A Qualitative Schema." 2010, Presented at 239th ACS National Meeting,
- "Probing the Reactivity of Triplet State Dissolved Organic Matter from River Water and Treated Wastewater." 2013, Presented at 246th ACS National Meeting,
- "Impact of Effluent Discharges on Photochemical Reactive Species Formation in River Waters." 2014, Presented at Environmental Sciences: Water Gordon Research Conference,
- "Integrating Social and Environmental Assessments in Engineering Practice." 2015, Presented at 2015 AEESP Research and Education Conference,
- "Solid-water exchange of antibiotics." 2003, Presented at NGWA 3rd International Conference on Pharmaceuticals and Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals in Water,,
- "Fate of pesticides, endocrine disrupting and pharmaceutical compounds in drinking water treatment plants." 2003, Presented at NGWA 3rd International Conference on Pharmaceuticals and Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals in Water,
- "Ionogenic Organic Compound Sorption Models: Advancing Qualitative Concepts for Quantitative Descriptions." 2016, Presented at 23rd SETAC Europe Annual Meeting,
- "Modeling Organic Compound Removal from Drinking Water." 2002, Presented at Water Treatment Working Group,
- "Organic Cation Structure: Effects on Adsorption to Montmorillonite." 2014, Presented at Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources,
- "Impact of Wastewater Effluent Discharges on Photochemistry in Receiving Streams." 2014, Presented at Connecticut Conference on Natural Resources,
- "Organic Cation Sorption to Montmorillonite: Effects of Structure and Competing Cation." 2014, Presented at Environmental Sciences: Water Gordon Research Conference,
- "Antibiotic Sorption: Effects of Sorbate Structure and Sorbent Properties." 2008, Presented at Fate and Effects of Pharmaceuticals in Soil Workshop, Research Group FOR566 Veterinary Medicines in Soil: Basic Research for Risk Analysis,