- Assistant Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
- Assistant Professor
221B Bolz Hall
2036 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Nan Hu earned his Ph.D. in civil engineering from Michigan State University. Prior to joining OSU, he was a postdoctoral researcher at Dartmouth College between 2015 and 2017. His areas of research interest include advanced structural concepts, architected materials, smart structures, structural stability, structural art, biomimetics, fiber-reinforced composites, sustainable infrastructure and bridge engineering. His research group focuses on the conceptual development and demonstration of structural components and systems that enable shape-changing, adaptive, multi-functional features beyond their traditional role of carrying loads. By characterizing the performance of the proposed structures, his research group aims to integrate those concepts into the developments of smart infrastructure materials and devices.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=zCPL0F0AAAAJ&hl=en
Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award. MSU College of Engineering.
- Hu, N., & Feng, P. 2015. "Chapter 10: Bio-inspired Bridge Design in Biotechnologies and biomimetics for civil engineering." edited by Pacheco Torgal et al., pp 235 - 255.
- 2014. "Bio-inspired Bridge Design." In Biotechnologies and Biomimetics for Civil Engineering, edited by Pacheco Torgal, F.; Labrincha, J.; Diamanti, M.; Yu, C.P.; Lee, H.; Lee, H.,
- Hu, N.; Burgueño, R., 2017, "Cylindrical Shells with Tunable Postbuckling Features Through Non-Uniform Patterned Thickening Patches." International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics 1850026-1850026 - 1850026-1850026.
- Yu, X.J., Zhang, L.N., Hu, N., Grover, H.M., Huang, S.C., Wang, D. & Chen, Z., 2017, "Shape Transition in Helical Ribbons Induced by Material Anisotropy." Applied Physics Letters 110, no. 091901,
- Tian, Z, Zhang, L., Fang, Y, Xu, B, Tang, S., Hu, N., An, Z, Chen, Z., & Mei, Y.F., 2017, "Deterministic self-rolling of ultra-thin nanocrystalline diamond nanomembranes for three-dimensional tubular/helical architectur." Advanced Materials 29 (13), no. 1604572,
- Hu, N., Han, X., Huang, S, Grover, H.M., Yu, X., Zhang. L., Trase, I., Zhang, X.J., Zhang. L., Dong, L.X. & Chen, Z., 2017, "Edge Effect of Strained Bilayer Nanofilms for Tunable Multistability and Actuation." Nanoscale 9, 2958 - 2962.
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2017, "Cylindrical Shells with Tunable Postbuckling Features through Non-Uniform Patterned Thickening Patches." International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics
- Hu, N., Burgueño, R., Haider, & S.W. Sun, Y., 2016, "An approach for estimating bridge deck chloride-induced degradation from local modeling to global asset assessment." Journal of Bridge Engineering 21 (9), no. 06016005,
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2016, "Harnessing seeded geometric imperfection to design cylindrical shells with tunable elastic postbuckling behavior.." Journal of Applied Mechanics 84 (1), no. 011003,
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Elastic postbuckling behavior of cylindrical shells with seeded geometric imperfection design." Thin-Walled Structures 96, 256 - 268.
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Tailoring of the elastic postbuckling response of cylindrical shells: a route for exploiting instabilities in materials and mech." Extreme Mechanics Letters 4, 103 - 110.
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Buckling-induced smart applications: recent advances and trends." Smart Materials and Structures 24 (6), no. 063001,
- Hu, N.; Burgueño, R., 2015, "Tailoring the elastic postbuckling response of cylindrical shells: A route for exploiting instabilities in materials and mechanical systems." Extreme Mechanics Letters 4, 103-110 - 103-110.
- Yan, B, Dai, G. L., & Hu, N., 2015, "Recent development of design and construction of short-span high-speed rail bridges in China." Engineering Structures 100, 707 - 717.
- Burgueño, R., Hu, N, Heeringa, A, & Lajnef, N., 2014, "). Tailoring the elastic postbuckling response of thin-walled cylindrical shell under axial compression." Thin-Walled Structures 100, 14 - 25.
- Hu, N., Dai, G. L., Yan, B. & Liu, K., 2014, "Recent development of design and construction of medium and long span high-speed railway bridges in China." Engineering Structures 74, 233 - 241.
- Hu, N., Feng, P., & Dai, G. L., 2014, "Structural art: past, present and future." Engineering Structures 79, 407 - 416.
- Hu, N., Feng, P., & Dai, G. L., 2013, "The gift from nature: bio-inspired strategy for developing innovative bridges.." Journal of Bionic Engineering 10 (4), 405 - 414.
- Hu, N., Haider, S. W., & Burgueño, R., 2013, "Development and validation of deterioration models for concrete bridge decks, phase 2: mechanics-based degradation models." Michigan Department of Transportation. RC-1587B,