You are here
- Home >
- Directory >
- Nan Hu
- Assistant Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
221B Bolz Hall, 2036 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Nan Hu earned his PhD in civil engineering from Michigan State University (‘15), where he developed approaches to control the postbuckling response of cylindrical shells. Prior to joining the Ohio State faculty in September 2017, he was a postdoctoral researcher at Dartmouth College for two years, where he focused on harnessing mechanical instability to design multifunctional materials for biomedical devices. The Versatile Structures Lab, his current research group at Ohio State, focuses on creating structural components with tailorable properties to achieve shape-changing and adaptive features for next-generation infrastructure materials and devices
- Novel structural concepts
- Nonlinear mechanics and structural testing
- Buckling and instability
- The art and history of structures
- Fiber-reinforced composites
- Stretchable and wearable electronics
- Multifunctional soft robots
- Self-assembly of materials and devices
- Active and smart materials
- 3D printing
Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award. MSU College of Engineering.
- Hu, N., & Feng, P. 2015. "Chapter 10: Bio-inspired Bridge Design in Biotechnologies and biomimetics for civil engineering." edited by Pacheco Torgal et al., pp 235 - 255.
- Wang, D.; Hu, N.; Huang, S.; Nasab, A.M. et al., 2018, "Buckling and post-buckling of an elastic rod embedded in a bilayer matrix." EXTREME MECHANICS LETTERS 25, 1-6 - 1-6.
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2017, "Cylindrical Shells with Tunable Postbuckling Features through Non-Uniform Patterned Thickening Patches." International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics
- Hu, N., Han, X., Huang, S, Grover, H.M., Yu, X., Zhang. L., Trase, I., Zhang, X.J., Zhang. L., Dong, L.X. & Chen, Z., 2017, "Edge Effect of Strained Bilayer Nanofilms for Tunable Multistability and Actuation." Nanoscale 9, 2958 - 2962.
- Yu, X.J., Zhang, L.N., Hu, N., Grover, H.M., Huang, S.C., Wang, D. & Chen, Z., 2017, "Shape Transition in Helical Ribbons Induced by Material Anisotropy." Applied Physics Letters 110, no. 091901,
- Tian, Z, Zhang, L., Fang, Y, Xu, B, Tang, S., Hu, N., An, Z, Chen, Z., & Mei, Y.F., 2017, "Deterministic self-rolling of ultra-thin nanocrystalline diamond nanomembranes for three-dimensional tubular/helical architectur." Advanced Materials 29 (13), no. 1604572,
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2016, "Harnessing seeded geometric imperfection to design cylindrical shells with tunable elastic postbuckling behavior.." Journal of Applied Mechanics 84 (1), no. 011003,
- Hu, N., Burgueño, R., Haider, & S.W. Sun, Y., 2016, "An approach for estimating bridge deck chloride-induced degradation from local modeling to global asset assessment." Journal of Bridge Engineering 21 (9), no. 06016005,
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Tailoring of the elastic postbuckling response of cylindrical shells: a route for exploiting instabilities in materials and mech." Extreme Mechanics Letters 4, 103 - 110.
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Buckling-induced smart applications: recent advances and trends." Smart Materials and Structures 24 (6), no. 063001,
- Hu, N., & Burgueño, R., 2015, "Elastic postbuckling behavior of cylindrical shells with seeded geometric imperfection design." Thin-Walled Structures 96, 256 - 268.
- Yan, B, Dai, G. L., & Hu, N., 2015, "Recent development of design and construction of short-span high-speed rail bridges in China." Engineering Structures 100, 707 - 717.
- Hu, N., Feng, P., & Dai, G. L., 2014, "Structural art: past, present and future." Engineering Structures 79, 407 - 416.
- Hu, N., Dai, G. L., Yan, B. & Liu, K., 2014, "Recent development of design and construction of medium and long span high-speed railway bridges in China." Engineering Structures 74, 233 - 241.
- Burgueño, R., Hu, N, Heeringa, A, & Lajnef, N., 2014, "). Tailoring the elastic postbuckling response of thin-walled cylindrical shell under axial compression." Thin-Walled Structures 100, 14 - 25.
- Hu, N.; Feng, P.; Dai, G-L., 2014, "Structural art: Past, present and future." ENGINEERING STRUCTURES 79, 407-416 - 407-416.
- Hu, N., Feng, P., & Dai, G. L., 2013, "The gift from nature: bio-inspired strategy for developing innovative bridges.." Journal of Bionic Engineering 10 (4), 405 - 414.
- Hu, N., Haider, S. W., & Burgueño, R., 2013, "Development and validation of deterioration models for concrete bridge decks, phase 2: mechanics-based degradation models." Michigan Department of Transportation. RC-1587B,
Papers in Proceedings
- Hu, N.; Burgueño, R. "Tailoring and controlling the elastic postbuckling response of cylindrical shells." (1 2016).
- Hu, N.; Liu, S.; Burgueño, R. "Controlled elastic instabilities in cylindrical shells for energy harvesting devices." (1 2016).
- Dai, G.; Hu, N.; Liu, W. "The recent improvement of high-speed railway bridges in China." (1 2010).