- Assistant Professor
221C Bolz Hall
2036 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Dr. Clark received his PhD in Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering and MS in Architectural Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was a member of the Building Energy and Environments Research Group. He has a BS in Civil Engineering and a BA in Philosophy from Stevens Institute of Technology. Dr. Clark is a native Ohioan and lifelong Buckeye fan, enjoys trail running and nurses an appetite for philosophy when he can.
Dr. Clark investigates the physical processes affecting energy consumption, thermal environments, and air quality in sustainable buildings.
Most recently his work has focused on looking at how we might leverage the recent explosion in sensing technology, communication, and data analytics capabilities to optimize heating, ventilation and air-conditioning devices and create smarter, more energy-efficient, healthy buildings. This includes the development of energy and airflow simulation tools to quantify the efficacy of ventilation control strategies in homes with “smart ventilation” and investigations into low-cost particulate matter sensors for integration into smart building control systems.
He is also interested in the development of next-generation mechanical equipment to reduce the amount of energy end use and carbon generation attributable to building operation, including work on membrane-based chemical air conditioning and low-flow high-capture kitchen ventilation technology.
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=i11e5pQAAAAJ&hl=en
National Science Foundation Integrative Graduate Education Research Traineeship. National Science Foundation.
University of Texas Raymond Filmore Dawson Endowed Fellowship in Engineering. University of Texas at Austin.
ASHRAE Grant-in-Aid Recipient. American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers.
- Less, B., Walker, I., Dutton, S., Li, X. and Clark, J., 2017, "Energy savings and air quality improvement available with temperature-based smart ventilation control in advanced CA homes." in progress,
- Clark, J., Walker, I. and Rojas, G., 2017, "Var. affecting pollutant capture perf. of overhd. island and integral downdraft kit. vent. devices for dev. of strd. method test." Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Less, B., Walker, I., Dutton, S., Li, X. and Clark, J., 2017, "Co-sim. of airflow and energy sim. software for quant. of energy savings avail. with time-based smart vent. in advanced CA homes." in progress,
- Clark, J., Walker, I. and Rojas, G., 2017, "Measurements of pollutant capture perf. of range-integrated downdraft kit. vent. devices and variables affecting measured perf." in progress,
- Clark, J., Walker, I. and Rojas, G., 2017, "Variables affecting measured pollutant capture perf. of overhd. island kit. ventilation devices for dev. of std. method of test." in progress,
- Guyot, G., Walker, I., Sherman, M., Clark, J., 2017, "Residential smart ventilation: A review." LBNL/201056 Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Less, B., Walker, I., Dutton, S., Li, X. and Clark, J., 2017, "Energy savings and improvement of indoor air quality with smart ventilation control in advanced CA homes: single zone studies." Peer-Reviewed Technical Report in progress,
- Liu. S., Clark, J. and A. Novoselac, 2016, "Air diffusion performance index (ADPI) of overhead-air- distribution for diffusers at low cooling loads." Energy and Buildings 134, 134 -
- Deru, M., Clark, J, Bonnema, E., 2015, "Modeled Energy Performance of Artic Shelters." Internal Report Prepared for U.S. U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA)
- Clark, J., 2015, "Energy-efficient supermarket heating, ventilation and air conditioning in humid climates in the United States." NREL/TP 5500-63796 Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Hirsch, A., Clark, J., Deru, M., Trenbath, K., Doebber, I., and Studer, D., 2015, "Pilot testing of commercial refrigeration-based demand-response." NREL/TP 5500-6509 Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Kozubal, E., Deru, M., Hermann, L. , Clark, J. and , Lowenstein, A., 2014, "Low-flow liquid desiccant air-conditioning: demonstrated performance and cost implications." NREL/TP-5500- 60695 Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Kozubal, E., Deru, M., Hermann, L. , and Clark, J., 2014, "Low-flow liquid desiccant air conditioning: General guidance and site considerations." NREL/TP-5500- 60695 Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- Clark, J. and A. Novoselac, 2013, "Flow and mixed convection heat transfer in buoyant jets from floor registers.” Energy and Buildings." Energy and Buildings 61, 140 - 145.
- Clark, J., L. Peeters and A. Novoselac, 2013, "Experimental study of convective heat transfer from windows with Venetian blinds." Building and Environment 59, 690 - 700.
- Clark, J. and A. Novoselac, 2013, "Modeling the effect of HVAC operation on transport of gaseous species to indoor surfaces.” ASHRAE Transactions." ASHRAE Transactions 119, YY1 - YY9.
- Clark, J., Goldstein, K., Peeters, L., Novoselac, A., 2012, "Development of Internal Surface Convection Correlations for Energy and Load Calculations Methods." RP-1416, ASHRAE, Atlanta, GA Peer-Reviewed Technical Report,
- "Semi-Empirical Models for Interior Convective Heat Transfer in Perimeter Zones." Boulder, United States
- "Assessment of Two Control Strategies for Reducing Human Exposure To Airborne Particles while Sleeping In Low-Energy Homes." Vancouver, Canada
- "Modeling the Effect of HVAC Operation on Transport of Gaseous Species to Indoor Surfaces.." Denver, United States
- "Identifying and using façade pressures for natural ventilation rate calculations." Las Vegas, United States