BS Environmental Engineering admission to major
Thank you for your interest in the Environmental Engineering program at The Ohio State Universtiy. Students interested in applying for admission to the University must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Current OSU students interested in the Environmental Engineering major and who meet all of the admission requirements (see below) must submit a formal application to the department of Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering by the following deadlines for consideration:
- Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm on the 3rd Friday of Autumn term for consideration for Spring admission
- Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm on the 3rd Friday of Spring term for consideration for Autumn admission
- Meeting minimum criteria to apply to the major does not guarantee admission.
- Students can apply to more than one major at a time. Students who are interested in more than one major (or would like to have a back-up option) are encouraged to apply to all majors for which they meet requirements. Deadlines vary by department, so please refer to individual department websites for application deadline information.
- Late applications will not be accepted.
- We do not accept applications for Summer term admission
Please visit https://ceg.osu.edu/undergraduate/application-major for more information.
Requirements for admission
Students must have successfully completed or be currently enrolled the term of application in all prerequisite courses for admission to the major. In order to be considered for admission to the civil engineering major, students must meet the minimum GPA requirements at the time of application and once all courses required for admission have been completed.
The student's Cumulative Point Hour Ratio (CPHR) must be at a 2.0 or higher and Eligibility Point Hour Ratio (EPHR) must be at a 2.5 or higher in order to apply to either major (please note: a 2.5 EPHR will simply allow students to apply to either major and will not guaranteee admission). CPHR is calculated from all courses taken at OSU. EPHR* is calculated from all the courses required for admission to the major, excluding Engineering 1100 and English 1110.
Courses required for admission to the major are as follows:
Math 1151 or 1161, 1172 (or Math 1151, 1152, and 2153; or Math 1161, 2162)
Engineering 1100 (or any OSU survey class)
Engineering 1181, 1182 (or Engineering 1281 and 1282; or 1186, 1187, and 1188)
Physics 1250, 1251 (or Physics 1260, 1261; or Physics 1250 and Chemistry 1210 or Chem 1250)
Acceptable courses for admission through the quarter-to-semester transition can be found HERE.
*If a student has taken 4 or more of the courses factored into the EPHR from an institution other than OSU, grades earned in those classes will be factored into the EPHR for admission to major purposes.