Are you interested in the Pre-Civil Engineering or Pre-Environmental Engineering Program?
Thank you for your interest in the Civil and Environmental Engineering programs at The Ohio State University. Students interested in applying for admission to the University must apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Students currently enrolled at OSU who are interested in the Civil or Environmental Engineering majors should contact the pre-major advisor for more information, and to discuss changing majors.
OSU students not currently enrolled in the College of Engineering must meet the following requirements in order to switch into the pre-Civil Engineering or pre-Environmental Engineering programs:
- Grade of "C-" or higher and credit for Math 1151 or 1161 or equivalents.
- Credit for either Physics 1250 OR Chemistry 1210 OR Chemistry 1250 OR equivalents.
- Students must have a minimum Cumulative Point Hour Ratio (CPHR) of 2.5 at Ohio State
The pre-Civil and pre-Environmental Engineering courses are generally taken during the Freshman and early Sophomore years. Students are not permitted to enroll in Civil or Environmental Engineering courses until admitted to the major. All other courses may be taken before admission to the major by following the stated enrollment requirements. In order to apply to the majors, there is a formal application process.
Please see the BS-Civil or BS-Environmental Admission tab for instructions and requirements for admission to the Civil or Environmental Engineering majors.
Enrollment for transfer students in the College of Engineering is competitive. For students transferring from another institution of higher education:
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described in the previous sections.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours and a GPA at your previous institution of 3.0 or higher, and have completed college-level calculus you will be directly enrolled as a pre-major in the program of your choice. You may not enter as an undeclared pre-major.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours but do not meet the 3.0 GPA, you will be enrolled in Science and Technology Exploration.
The most current University admission information and criteria for transfer students is available at http://exploration.osu.edu/prospective-students/transfer-students.
International transfer students should also visit http://undergrad.osu.edu/welcome/international
Internal transition from another Ohio State college or regional campus
Current Ohio State students on the Columbus campus must meet these requirements for admission into the College of Engineering pre-major program:
- 2.5 OSU GPA
- C- or higher in Math 1151
- Credit for one of the following courses: Chemistry 1210 , Chemistry 1250, Physics 1250, Biology 2100
Students enrolled in the College of Engineering who start on the regional campus must meet the campus change requirement before starting on the Columbus campus.
Students who meet the admission criteria and wish to enroll in the College of Engineering should contact an academic advisor in their program of interest.