Undergraduate FAQs

Academic Advising

How can I meet with an Academic Advisor in Civil or Environmental Engineering?   

The Academic Advising office has a variety of ways to meet with students or address their needs/concerns via email.  Please visit the Undergraduate Academic Advising page for more information

I am enrolled in another pre-major/major program within the College of Engineering and am interested in switching to Civil or Environmental Engineering. How can I change my pre-major/major?

Please make an appointment with a CEG Advisor to discuss changing your program.

I am not enrolled in the College of Engineering but am interested in majoring in Civil or Environmental Engineering. How can I switch to Engineering?

In order to switch to the pre-Civil or pre-Environmental program from outside the College of Engineering, we require students to have successfully completed Math 1151 (or its equivalents with a grade of C- or higher),  AND  Physics 1250 OR Chemistry 1210 OR Chemistry 1250. Students must also have a CPHR of 2.5 or higher. Please make an appointment with a CEG Advisor to discuss changing your program.

What are CPHR, EPHR, & MPHR, and where can I find them?

Each point hour ratio (PHR), frequently known as GPA, is calculated from the applicable courses listed below (except those which fall under the Freshman Forgiveness Rule). You can find each PHR in your Degree Audit Report near the top.

  • CPHR- Cumulative point hour ratio is calculated from all the courses you have taken at OSU for a grade
  • EPHR - Eligibility point hour ratio is calculated from all the courses required for admission to the major
  • MPHR- Major point hour ratio is calculated from all core courses, core electives,  technical electives for the major

What is Freshman Forgiveness? Are there other grade forgiveness options?

Effective autumn semester 2015, under Ohio State's recently approved Grade Forgiveness Rule, students can petition to complete a second attempt at a course and apply grade forgiveness to the first attempt. The parameters of the Grade Forgiveness Rule are as follows:

  • Students must submit a Grade Forgiveness Rule Petition by the deadline listed on the Important Dates and Deadlines information published by the Office of the University Registrar. For full-semester courses, this deadline is the fourth Friday of the term in which the student is enrolled in the second attempt of a course. Courses with shorter-session meeting patterns have a prorated deadline listed in the date information, available at the link above.
  • Students seeking to repeat a high-demand course in which they have already earned a passing grade may not receive permission to repeat it until students who need to complete their first attempt at the course have had a chance to enroll. For critical demand courses, students who enroll in a second attempt may be disenrolled to allow students who require a first attempt to enroll. Then, after these students have been enrolled, remaining seats will be made available to students intending to complete a second attempt.

Before using grade forgiveness, keep in mind these considerations:

  • Always talk with your academic advisor prior to enrolling in the second attempt of a course to ensure you are eligible to use forgiveness and meet all rule requirements and deadlines.
  • If approved, the first attempt's grade and credit hours will be removed from the OSU CPHR (cumulative point-hour ratio) upon completion of the second attempt.
  • Forgiveness only impacts the OSU cumulative GPA calculation. All grades remain on the student's transcript.
  • Academic standing is not retroactively reviewed if a first attempt's grade is removed from the GPA calculation due to forgiveness.
  • If a student withdraws from his/her second attempt, the grade forgiveness petition is canceled and forgiveness is not applied. The withdrawn attempt does not count toward the maximum of three courses for forgiveness.

What are the requirements to be admitted to the Civil or Environmental Engineering majors?

Students can apply to the major once they have completed or are currently enrolled in all the prerequisites for admission into the major. Course requirements are different for the Civil Engineering major and the Environmental Engineering major. Course requirements for admission to the major also differ depending on which term you apply. For a list of these required courses see the CEG website under the "Application to Major" tab under Civil or Environmental Engineering. To be considered for admission, students must also have a CPHR of at least 2.0 and an EPHR of at least a 2.5. You do not need to be pre-civil or pre-environmental in order to apply for the respective majors.

How do I apply to the Civil or Environmental Engineering majors? Please refer to the CEG website "Application to Major" (under your intended program) section for the pre-requisites, application, instructions and deadlines as application materials and processes are subject to change.


How can I find out when I schedule for classes? Around the middle of the academic term, you should receive an email from the Registrar’s Office notifying you that the dates for your enrollment appointment have been posted on your Student Center.

How many credit hours are required for full-time status? A student must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per term in order to be considered a full-time student. If you are considering dropping below 12 credit hours, make sure you are still meeting the requirements of any financial aid you are receiving and check any other policies you may be restricted to such as international visas and health insurance. You may also want to check fees and refund schedules on the Registrar’s website.  

Are there a maximum number of credit hours that can be taken per semester? At this time, students in the College of Engineering are permitted to enroll in up to 18 credit hours per term. Upperclass students may petition the Department to enroll in more than 18 credit hours in one academic term. To enroll in more than 18 credit hours, students must petition and pay additional fees.

When is the deadline for adding a class?

  • The 1st Friday of the term is the last day of a term in which students may self-add a course via Buckeye Link.
  • During the 2nd week of classes, students will need to obtain permission from the instructor of the course to enroll and then return a signed Course Enrollment Permission form to an advisor. Course Enrollment Permission forms can be found on the CEG website under Curriculum and Forms
  • After the 2nd Friday students will need to petition to add a course.

When would I need to use a Course Enrollment Permission form? A Course Enrollment Permission form may be required for several reasons including the following:

  • Getting into a waitlisted class
  • Adding a class after the 1st Friday of the term
  • You do not have the required prerequisite for enrollment in the class
  • There is a time conflict with another class
  • The class requires Instructor or Department Permission for enrollment

The form must be filled out completely or it will not be processed. The form can be found under Curriculum & Forms section of the CEG website. With the exception of the Math Department and Chemistry Department, most completed forms may be submitted to the Undergraduate Academic Advisor and the class will be added. To add a math or chemistry class, please see the Math Department’s website or Chemistry Department's website for details.

How can I drop a class?

  • Before the 4th Friday of the term, students may withdraw from a full-term course on-line using Buckeye Link.
  • After the 4th  Friday through 5pm on the 10th Friday, students must submit all drop requests (for full-term courses) in writing to the Academic Advisor. All requests must be submitted from your OSU email or in person. Please note that students who drop a course after the 4th Friday will receive a ‘W’ for the course on their transcript to show that the student attempted and withdrew from the course. A 'W' is not calculated with your GPA.
  • Any student requesting to drop a course after the 10th Friday must petition the College of Engineering. Only students with documented extenuating circumstances will have their petitions considered by the COE Committee.  Please contact the Advising Office for the petition forms.
  • Please note: deadlines will vary for session 1 and session 2 courses.  Please visit the University Registrar's website for those dates and deadlines

Transcripts and DARS

What is a Degree Audit Report and how can I run one?

A Degree Audit Report (DARs) shows you what requirements you have completed and what requirements you still need to complete to graduate. You can find your DARs on BuckeyeLink or through your Student Center. Please note that when you run your DARs, it will automatically run a report for the degree program in which you are listed in the system. You are able to run a report for other degree programs.

I sent a copy of my official transcript to the University but I did not receive credit for some courses. How do I get my other courses evaluated?

In order to get transfer credit evaluated, you must go to the department from which you are seeking to receive credit. Review the department websites for their policy as most departments on campus will have their own procedures for reviewing and evaluating transfer courses.  You should expect to submit your Transfer Credit Report and a copy of your syllabus for each of the courses being reviewed. A course description from the university or college’s website will most likely not be considered. Please review the CEGE website Transfer Credit section for assistance in having CEGE courses evaluated by the department. Your Transfer Credit Report and a list of Transfer Credit Coordinators for all departments on campus can be found on Buckeye Link.

How can I obtain a copy of my transcript?

There are two types of transcripts- official and unofficial – both available on Buckeye Link.  Students can download an unofficial copy of their transcript, from Buckeye Link by printing a copy of their ‘Advising Report.’  Students can also order an official transcript from the University on Buckeye Link.


How do I apply for graduation?

Students should apply for graduation at least 2 terms before the term expected to graduate. Students must submit the signed required graduation application forms to the Advising Office. Please see the Graduation section of the CEGE website for application materials, deadlines and other details.

Internships and Co-ops

Where do I find out about co-ops, internships and job searching? Engineering Career Services assists students with co-ops, internships and job searching, including assistance with preparation such as interviewing, resumes, etc. See the ECS website for more information on their services and how to register.

FE Exam

What is the FE Exam? The FE Exam, or Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, is the first of two exams offered for those who wish to pursue licensure as a Professional Engineer. The FE is not administered by the university and registration is overseen by the state of Ohio’s Professional Engineers and Surveyors Board. The FE is offered twice a year. Please see the CEGE website FE & PE Exam section for details on how to register.

Academic Standards

What is Academic Probation?

Academic probation is designed to help students who are having academic difficulties make the necessary adjustments to become successful students. A civil or environmental engineering student, both pre-majors and majors, will be placed on Special Action Probation (SAP) with the department should their EPHR or MPHR fall below a 2.0. If you do not meet specific requirements in the semester in which you are on probation, you can be dismissed from the college or department.


Where do I go for issues with fees and financial aid?

BuckeyeLink assists students with matters concerning financial aid, statement of account, refunds, holds, etc.

Where can I get help with my classes?

You should seek out assistance from your instructors and TAs of the class. Tutoring and other academic assistance is available for many of the math and science courses that are required for our programs. Please see the Resources section of the CEGE website for more information. Individual departments may also have helpful information listed on their departmental websites. 

How do I find instructors’ contact information?

You can find contact information for anyone at the University under the Find People section of the Ohio State website. 

Where can I find scholarship information?

Students can seek out scholarships and other forms of financial aid through the University, the College of Engineering, the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Geodetic Science as well as external sources. Please see the CEGE website Financial Aid & Scholarship section between January and April for deadlines and details. To be considered for financial aid, it is highly recommended to file a FAFSA each year. Details can be found on the OSU Student Financial Aid website.

Where can I find a computer lab on campus?  Students pay a technology fee, which allows students to use the computer programs and printer in specific computer labs. See the attachments for details on computer facilities:

Where is my mailbox?

Due to the number of students in the department, we no longer have mailboxes.  However, students can come to Bolz Hall 436 to pick-up homework and assignments.