Graduate Student Travel Awards
Each year, the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering provides travel scholarships to support graduate students presenting their research at professional conferences in their area of specialty. These funds come through departmental accounts, including the Bedford Scholarship Fund.
Effective July 1, 2021, the university will allow business-related travel in line with updated health and safety requirements.
For the remainder of the 2021 - 2022 academic year, it is expected there will be $500 awards for in-person conference attendance and $250 awards for on-line conference attendance.
Based on the type of submissions (in-person vs on-line), the number of awards will be distributed evenly across the remaining funding periods outlined below.
2021 - 2022 Application Deadlines and Award Timeline
Funding Period #1 - Application Deadline: May 1, 2021 (Activity Dates: July 1, 2021 - September 30, 2021)
- APPLY NOW! Funding Period #2 - Application Deadline: August 1, 2021 (Activity Dates: October 1, 2021 - December 31, 2021
- Funding Period #3 - Application Deadline: November 2, 2021 (Activity Dates: January 1, 2022 - March 31, 2022)
- Funding Period #4 - Application Deadline: February 1, 2022 (Activity Dates: April 1, 2022 - June 30, 2022)
- The applicant must be a current graduate student, in good standing, in the Civil Engineering Graduate Studies Program at the time of the conference.
- The applicant must be attending the conference to present their own work.
- The applicant's advisor/faculty sponsor is expected to cover any remaining registration and travel expenses using their own research or departmental accounts.
Additional Application Information
- Application Deadlines: Applications (including the faculty support questionnaire) are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline day. No applications will be accepted after the application deadline - no exceptions!
- Activity Dates: Applications requesting support for conferences with dates that span two funding periods can be submitted in one of the two applicable funding periods. For example, for a conference with dates of March 31 to April 3, a student may submit an application in Funding Period #3 or #4 (but not both.)
- Award Notification: Applicants will be notified of a decision two weeks after the funding period deadline!
Questions concerning graduate student travel awards may be sent to: email@example.com.