Resources and Support
The Ohio State University provides a wealth of services to support our students in and out of the classroom. Please consult Ohio State's Current Students website for a comprehensive list of student support services.
Below is a partial list of Academic Support and other services that are available to students. Please click on the links to learn more about these programs.
Academic Support Services
- Student Life Disability Services - collaboartes with and empowers students who have disabilities in order to coordinate support services programs that enable equal access to education.
- Student Advocacy Center - committed to helping students navigate Ohio State's structure and to resolving issues that they encounter at the University. Students are empowered to overcome obstacles to their growth both inside and outside the classroom.
- Khan Academy - a non-profit educational organization created in 2006 by educator Salman Khan with a goal of creating an accessible place for people to be educated. The organization produces short lectures in the form of YouTube videos
- Mathematics & Statistics Learning Center - provides tutoring, workshops, exam reviews and other resources for students currently enrolled in math classes at Ohio State
- General Chemistry Learning Resource Center - provides free assistance in the general chemistry courses at OSU
- Walter E. Dennis Learning Center - offers free tutoring in math, physics and chemistry. Provides academic workshops and courses designed to help students be more successful in their academics. Learning Specialists are available to meet with students individually to discuss topics like time management, study skills, etc.
- Younkin Success Center - houses a variety of services and resources for students including a computer lab and 24 hour study space during finals week
- Technical Communications Resource Center - helps College of Engineering students to identify patterns of writing errors and improve readability and coherence in writing tasks
- Center for the Study of Teaching and Writing - assists students in writing research papers, lab reports, resumes, etc.
- Office of Student Life-University Housing - offers tutoring for basic math, chemistry and physics courses is available in the residence halls
- University Libraries - provides over 20 libraries on campus, online resources, nationwide databases, etc.
The Graduate School
For Graduate Students, the Graduate School will be an important entity to your time at Ohio State. You may not interact with them much during your time here, but it does not lessen their importance especially since when you get ready to graduate, you will be working with their office on some things. They also have information on a plethora of other things on their site such as information about professional development, diversity initiatives, upcoming events, etc. You can view more information about the Graduate School via https://gradsch.osu.edu/.
Council of Graduate Students
Student Wellness and Support Services
To be a student, faculty or staff member in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering means being tied to a rich tapestry of diverse cultures, ethnicities and backgrounds from people all over the world. Not only do we help cultivate this diversity at CEGE, we celebrate it.
The following links also offer numerous support services available at Ohio State:
- Counseling and Consultation Services (Dealing with Loss, Stress management, depression/anxiety, academic adjustment, psychiatry, crisis support, family/student consultation)
ECS also hosts workshops on a variety of topics, from building a strong, Linkedin profile to negotiating salary and benefits with a potential employer. View the workshop schedule HERE.
Ohio State's Office of Student Life offers career counseling and support services. Career Connection assists students with career exploration as well as job searches.
Student Computer Facilities
Students enrolled in the Civil and Environmental Engineering pre-majors and majors have access to departmental computer facilities, software as well as datas storage and printing quotas. For more information about CEGE computer facilities, please contact the computer support staff in Hitchcock Hall 317 or send an email to R1Exec@osu.edu.
Pre-Civil & Pre-Environmental Engineering student labs:
Hitchcock Hall 342
Civil & Environmental Engineering major student labs:
Bolz Hall 428
Bolz Hall 436
Bolz Hall 439
Students in the majors also have the opportunity to access the computer labs remotely.
Other computing resources
University Libraries offers computers for public use.
CEGE Student Lounge
Students in the Civil or Environmental Engineering majors have access to the student lounge located in Bolz Hall Room 435. The student lounge provides study space, a computer workstation, a microwave, and refrigerator.