Graduate Student Travel Awards
Each year, the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering provides travel scholarships to support graduate students presenting their research at professional conferences in their area of specialty. These funds come through departmental accounts, including the Bedford Scholarship Fund.
While COVID-related university travel restrictions remain in effect, it is expected there will be a maximum of twelve $250 awards distributed evenly across the four funding periods outlined below (three awards each period). These funds may be used to defray registration costs for online conference participation*.
*We will continue to monitor university travel restrictions and hope to continue with the funding in-person conference attendance as soon as possible.
2020 - 2021 Application Deadlines and Award Timeline
Funding Period #1 - Application Deadline: May 1, 2020 (Activity Dates: July 1, 2020 - September 30, 2020)
Funding Period #2 - Application Deadline: August 1, 2020 (Activity Dates: October 1, 2020 - December 31, 2020)
APPLY NOW! Funding Period #3 - Application Deadline: November 2, 2020 (Activity Dates: January 1, 2021 - March 31, 2021) Applications for online conference participation only (travel restriction is still in effect)!
Funding Period #4 - Application Deadline: February 1, 2021 (Activity Dates: April 1, 2021 - June 30, 2021)
- The applicant must be a current graduate student, in good standing, in the Civil Engineering Graduate Studies Program at the time of the conference.
- The applicant must be attending the conference to present their own work.
- The applicant's advisor/faculty sponsor is expected to cover any remaining registration and travel expenses using their own research or departmental accounts.
Additional Application Information
- Application Deadlines: Applications (including the faculty support questionnaire) are due by 11:59 PM on the deadline day. No applications will be accepted after the application deadline - no exceptions!
- Activity Dates: Applications requesting support for conferences with dates that span two funding periods can be submitted in one of the two applicable funding periods. For example, for a conference with dates of March 31 to April 3, a student may submit an application in Funding Period #3 or #4 (but not both.)
- Award Notification: Applicants will be notified of a decision two weeks after the funding period deadline!
Questions concerning graduate student travel awards may be sent to Dina Galley at firstname.lastname@example.org.