Assistant Professor, Civil, Envir & Geod Eng
2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Research Interest - Ecological engineering atmosphere-biosphere interactions, regional atmospheric modeling.
- Lumley Research Award, The Ohio State University, College of Engineering
- PADI Award - Project Title: Eddy-flux measurements of evaporation from the coral-reef lagoon in the Red Sea, PADI Foundation
- Outstanding Student Presentation at the AGU Winter Meeting 12/2007, American Geophysical Union
- John & Elaine French Fellow of the Harvard University Center for the Environment, Harvard University Center for the Environment
Chapters in Books
- Arbuscular micorrhizae - plant - environment interactions in a wild host, Vangueria infausta, from the Kalahari desert, South Africa" In Arbuscular mycorrhizae in arid and semiarid ecosystems. Edited by MontaÃ±o Arias N.M., Camargo-Ricalde S.L., GarcÃa-SÃ¡nchez R. and Monroy Ata A.. Mexico: Mundi-Prensa. 2008. "
- "The timing of abscission affects dispersal distance in a wind-dispersed tropical tree." Functional Ecology 27 1 208-218
- "Joint evolution of seed traits along an aridity gradient: seed size and dormancy are not two substitutable evolutionary traits in temporally heterogeneous environment.." New phytologist 197 2 655-667
- "Optimizing Wind Power Generation while Minimizing Wildlife Impacts in an Urban Area.." PloS one 8 2
- "Research and development supporting risk-based wildfire effects prediction for fuels and fire management: status and needs." International Journal of Wildland Fire 22 1 37-50
- "Terrestrial biosphere models need better representation of vegetation phenology: Results from the North American Carbon Program Site Synthesis." Global Change Biology 18 566-584
- "Global estimation of evapotranspiration using a leaf area index-based surface energy and water balance model." REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT 124 581-595
- "State-dependent errors in a land surface model across biomes inferred from eddy covariance observations on multiple timescales." ECOLOGICAL MODELLING 246 11-25
- "Interannual and spatial impacts of phenological transitions, growing season length, and spring and autumn temperatures on carbon sequestration: A North America flux data synthesis." Global and Planetary Change 92-93 179-190
- "Estimating plot-level tree structure in a deciduous forest by combining allometric equations, spatial wavelet analysis and airborne LiDAR." REMOTE SENSING LETTERS 3 5 443-451
- "Estimating updraft velocity components over large spatial scales: Contrasting migration strategies of golden eagles and turkey vultures." Ecology Letters 15 96-103
- "Moderating Argos location errors in animal tracking data." METHODS IN ECOLOGY AND EVOLUTION 3 6 999-1007
- "On the choice of the driving temperature for eddy-covariance carbon dioxide flux partitioning." Biogeosciences 9 12 5243-5259
- "Long distance gene flow and adaptation of forest trees to rapid climate change." Ecology Letters 15
- "Disturbance and the resilience of coupled carbon and nitrogen cycling in a north temperate forest." JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-BIOGEOSCIENCES 116
- "Migration path annotation: Cross-continental study of migration-flight response to environmental conditions." Ecological Applications 21 6 2258-2268
- "A model of gas mixing into single-entrance tree cavities during wildland fires." CANADIAN JOURNAL OF FOREST RESEARCH-REVUE CANADIENNE DE RECHERCHE FORESTIERE 41 8 1659-1670
- "Redefinition and global estimation of basal ecosystem respiration rate." GLOBAL BIOGEOCHEMICAL CYCLES 25
- "A comparison of multiple phenology data sources for estimating seasonal transitions in deciduous forest carbon exchange." AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY 151 12 1741-1752
- "Mechanistic models of seed dispersal by wind." Theoretical Ecology 4 2 113-132
- "Seasonal hysteresis of net ecosystem exchange in response to temperature change: patterns and causes." GLOBAL CHANGE BIOLOGY 17 10 3102-3114
- "Observed increase in local cooling effect of deforestation at higher latitudes." Nature 479 7373 384-387
- "The role of canopy structural complexity in wood net primary production of a maturing northern deciduous forest." Ecology 92 9 1818-1827
- "Determining the viability response of pine pollen to atmospheric conditions during long-distance dispersal." Ecological Applications 19 3 656-667
- "Exploring the effects of microscale structural heterogeneity of forest canopies using large-eddy simulations." Boundary-Layer Meteorology 132 351-382
- "Effects of canopy heterogeneity, seed abscission and inertia on wind-driven dispersal kernels of tree seeds." Journal of Ecology 96 4 569-580
- "Understanding strategies for seed dispersal by wind under contrasting atmospheric conditions." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105 49 19084-19089
- "Intergenic and Genic Sequence Lengths Have Opposite Relationships with Respect to Gene Expression." PLOS ONE 3 11
- "Movement ecology of migration in turkey vultures." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 105 49 19102-19107
- "Effects of hydraulic architecture and spatial variation in light on mean stomatal conductance of tree branches and crowns." Plant Cell and Environment 30 4 483-496
- "Sensitivity of ice storms in the southeastern United States to Atlantic SST - Insights from a case study of the December 2002 storm." Monthly Weather Review 134 5 1454-1464
- "Finite element tree crown hydrodynamics model (FETCH) using porous media flow within branching elements: A new representation of tree hydrodynamics." Water Resources Research 41 11 W11404-doi:10.1029/2005WR004181
- "Experimental measurements of fluence distribution in a UV reactor using fluorescent microspheres." Environmental Science and Technology 39 22 8925-8930
- "Regional consequences of local population demography and genetics in relation to habitat management in Gentiana pneumonanthe." Conservation Biology 19 2 357-367
- "Long distance biological transport processes through the air: Can nature’s complexity be unfolded in-silico?." Diversity and Distributions 11 131-137
- "Effects of long distance dispersal for metapopulation survival and genetic structure at ecological time and spatial scales." Journal of Ecology 93 5 1029-1040
- "The relationship between redox potential and nitrification under different sequences of crop rotations." Soil & Tillage Research 77 1 25-33
- "Effects of different Kalahari-desert VA mycorrhizal communities on mineral acquisition and depletion from the soil by host plants." JOURNAL OF ARID ENVIRONMENTS 55 2 193-208
- "The effectiveness of various rabies spatial vaccination patterns in a simulated host population with clumped distribution." ECOLOGICAL MODELLING 152 2-3 205-211
- "Effects of environmental variables on vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal abundance in wild populations of Vangueria infausta." JOURNAL OF VEGETATION SCIENCE 12 2 279-288
Papers in Proceedings
- "MoveBank Track Annotation Project: Linking Animal Movement Data with the Environment to Discover the Impact of Environmental Change in Animal migration." Workshop on GIScience in the Big Data Age 2012, 7th International Conference on Geographic Information Science 2012 2012.
- "Resolving a forest-strip induced uplift region using the shaved-grid-cell method with large eddy simulations." 29th Conference on Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 2010.
- "VR visualization as an interdisciplinary collaborative data exploration tool for large eddy simulations of biosphere-atmosphere interactions." Advances in Visual Computing 4th International Symposium, ISVC 2008 2008.
- "A virtual canopy generator (V-CaGe) for modelling complex heterogeneous forest canopies at high resolution." 1st International Integrated Land Ecosystem Atmosphere Processes Study Science Conference ( iLEAPS) 2007.
- "The Environmental-Data Automated Track Annotation (Env-DATA) system: Linking animal tracks with environmental data." 10th Biennial Deer and Elk Workshop. Missoula. 2013.
- "Discovering relationships between climate and animal migration with new tools for linking animal movement tracks, weather and land surface data." NASA Biodiversity and Ecological Forecasting Team Meeting. Washington. 2013.
- "Env-DATA - New tools for linking animal movement tracks with weather and land-surface data." US Fish and Wildlife Service - National Climate Team Meeting. Washington. 2013.
- "Monitoring Methane in Air." Environmentally Friendly Drilling Workshop - Site Assessment and Baseline Monitoring Measurements in Ohio. Columbus. 2013.
- "Migration track annotation - New tools for linking animal movement tracks with weather and land-surface data." NASA Earth to Sky VI workshop. Shepherdstown. 2013.
- "From forest to trees – how changes to tree-level structure affect the hydrologic, atmospheric and productivity functions of the forest." Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute – CTFS-science meeting. Panama. 2013.
- "Old-growth ecosystem services as a conservation goal in Upper Great Lakes forests." Developing Ecologically-Based Conservation Targets Under Global Change: The 2nd Emerging Issues Conference of the Ecological Society of America. Shepherdstown. 2012.
- "Detecting and modeling hydrodynamic stresses on stomatal conductance in the Forest Accelerated Succession ExperimenT (FASET)." University of Wisconsin, Atmospheric Science Departmental Seminar. Madison. 2012.
- "Spatial-temporal intermittency of methane flux in an urban temperate wetland." 12th Annual American Ecological Engineering Society Meeting. Syracuse. 2012.
- "Exploring how animals respond to environmental change: Linking animal movement data to global environmental datasets with Movebank." IMPACT - International Conference on Managing Protected Areas under Climate Change. Dresden. 2012.
- "Quantifying in situ rates of methanogenesis and denitrification in wetland sediments." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "Eddy flux measurements of methane at the Oletangy River Wetland Research Park wetland - Determining the seasonal and diurnal dynamics of methane emissions." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "A framework for incorporating the effects of hydrodynamic stresses on forest photosynthesis and evaporation." Seminar-Department of Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin â€“ Milwaukee. Milwaukee. 2012.
- "Effects of environmental conditions on an urban wetland's methane fluxes." 41st Annual Water Management Association of Ohio Conference. Columbus. 2012.
- "Carbon sequestration by Phragmites australis." Northeast Natural History Conference 2012. Syracuse. 2012.
- "Managing Great Lakes forests for climate change mitigation." BIOGEOMON 2012: The 7th International Symposium on Ecosystem Behavior. Northport. 2012.
- "Factors influencing methane emission potential from wetland sediments." Ohio River Basin Consortium for Research and Education 2012. Athens. 2012.
- "Strategies of water use â€“ how different trees manage their water, and what does it mean for the forest as it changes." University of Michigan Biological Station, All-Camp Lecture Series. Pellston. 2012.
- "Effect of restoration on the carbon balance in the Meadowlands of New Jersey." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "Temporal and spatial dynamics of methane fluxes in a temperate urban wetland." EcoSummit. Columbus. 2012.
- "Green solutions for wet weather management." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "Factors influencing microbial gas production rates in wetland sediments." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "Mechanistic linking of stomata conductance to soil moisture using a tree level hydrodynamic model." EcoSummit. Columbus. 2012.
- "Getting a handle on local smoke transport during prescribed fires." 2012 Science, Practice & Art of Restoring Ecosystems. East Lansing. 2012.
- "Changes to canopy structure drive shifts in flux ejection-sweep dynamics at the Forest Accelerated Succession ExperimenT (FASET)." Department of Energy, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science PI meeting. Washington. 2012.
- "Modeling the effects of increasingly heterogeneous canopy environments on flux dynamics using a high-resolution, forest-resolving large-eddy simulation (RAFLES)." Department of Energy, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science PI meeting. Washington. 2012.
- "Plot-level measurements and modeling of sap flux - providing a mechanistic link between stomata conductance and soil moisture." Department of Energy, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science PI meeting. Washington. 2012.
- "Determining the meteorological forcing that affects the dynamics of methane emissions from wetlands." The Water Management Association of Ohio and The Ohio Water Resources Center - Water Luncheon Seminar. Columbus. 2012.
- "If a tree moves in the wind â€“ do the clouds care?." North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences - Nature Research Center Opening Event - Meet a Scientist. Raleigh. 2012.
- "Discovering relationships between climate and animal migration with new tools for linking animal movement tracks, weather and land surface data." NASA Biodiversity and Ecological Forecasting Team Meeting. Seattle. 2012.
- "Environmental data in Movebank - introduction and updates." Biological Response to Climate Change - Movebank Track Annotation Project Meeting #2. 2012.
- "Combining wind simulations and bird-density surveys for optimization of green wind power generation in urban limited space applications." The Abraham Kogan Seminar on Renewable Energies. Jerusalem. 2012.
- "Animal weather forecasts - satellite data help show what migrating animals know and like about the weather." Denali Education Center Community Lecture Series. 2012.
- "Tree-scale forest structure for modeling of hydrodynamic stresses." ForestSAT 2012. Conwallis. 2012.
- "Determining forest structure at an individual-tree scale using remote-sensing-based methods." EcoSummit 2012. Columbus. 2012.
- "Optimization of small scale wind turbine in limited-space urban applications - maximizing wind and minimizing bird collision hazard." 1st CAPS Morning Gathering: Biofuels & Sustainable Energy Practices. Colunbus. 2012.
- "Maintaining high rates of carbon storage in old forests: A mechanism linking canopy structure to forest function." Department of Energy, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science PI meeting. Washington. 2012.
- "Sustained canopy light-use efficiency supports forest carbon storage resistance to moderate disturbance." Department of Energy, Terrestrial Ecosystem Science PI meeting. Washington. 2012.
- "Studying animal migrations using remotely sensed environmental time-series." Research Coordination Network â€“ FORECAST Conference 2012. Woods Hole. 2012.
- "Collaborative research: Greenhouse gas balance of urban temperate wetlands." 11th Annual Meeting of the American Ecological Engineering Society. Ashville. 2011.
- "Determining forest structure at an individual-tree scale using remote-sensing-based methods." Richard J. and Martha D. Denman Undergraduate Research Forum. Columbus. 2011.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest structure and forest function at the atmospheric surface layer." University of Washington, Department of Atmospheric Science, Departmental Seminar. Seattle. 2011.
- "Darwinâ€™s â€œuniform green carpetâ€�: modelling the theoretical limits to the dispersal of orchid seeds." 4th International Orchid Conservation Congress. Hluboka. 2011.
- "Large-eddy simulation and lidar 3-D mapping for optimization of wind power generation in limited-space applications." University Clean Energy Alliance of Ohio 5th annual conference. Columbus. 2011.
- "FireStem II â€“ a 2-D heat transfer model for simulation of stem damage in prescribed fires." The 4th Fire in Eastern Oak Forests Conference. Springfield. 2011.
- "CO2 fluxes in the New Jersey Meadowlands." Princeton University, Department of GeoSciences, Seminar. Princeton. 2011.
- "Discovering relationships between climate and animal migration with new tools for linking animal movement tracks with weather and land surface data - Project introduction." Biological Response to Climate Change - Movement Track Annotation Science Meeting #1. Point Reyes. 2011.
- "Large-eddy simulations of PM dispersion to quantify the effects of windbreaks on air quality around CAFOâ€™s." US Department of Agriculture 2011 Air Quality Project Directorsâ€™ Meeting. Washington. 2011.
- "Migration track annotation - New tools for linking animal movement tracks with weather and land-surface data." Earth to Sky V. Shepherdstown. 2011.
- "Raptor migration by computer: using modeling and satellite tracking data to fill in the GPS." Conference of the Hawk Migration Association of North America. Duluth. 2010.
- "FDS as a tool for estimating fire effects on flora and fauna." National Institute of Standards and Technology, Building-Fire Research-Laboratory Seminar. Gaithersburg. 2010.
- "The effects of canopy heterogeneity on fuel moisture and wildland fires." NASA Land-Cover and Land-Use-Change Program Science Team Meeting. Bethesda. 2010.
- "Tree-scale representation of forests in atmospheric simulation - Connecting forest function with canopy structure." Mechanical Engineering Seminar. Columbus. 2010.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest structure and forest function at the atmospheric surface layer." Washington University, Ecology Seminar. St. Louis. 2010.
- "Large-eddy simulations of PM dispersion to quantify the effects of windbreaks on air quality around CAFOâ€™s." 2010 AFRI Air Quality PD Meeting. Amarillo. 2010.
- "If only life were so simple â€“ Handling some of dispersalâ€™s most neglected phenomena with simple(ified) mechanistic solutions." FoResTTraC Workshop: Long distance gene flow and adaptation. Barsac. 2010.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest structure and forest function at the atmospheric surface layer." University of Michigan Biological Station All Camp Lecture. Pellston. 2010.
- "Development of modeling tools for predicting smoke dispersion from low-intensity fires." Northern Research Station, 6th All Scientist Meeting. East Lansing. 2010.
- "Tree-level simulations of transpiration - can the trees add details to the forest?." Seminar of the Institute of Soil, Water and Environmental Science. Bet Dagan. 2010.
- "From trees to forests: Modeling the interactions between vegetation structure and atmosphere dynamics." Weizmann Institute of Science, ESER seminar. Rehovot. 2010.
- "Forest-atmosphere interactions: Where structure meets function." Hebrew University, EEB Departmental Seminar. Jerusalem. 2010.
- "Riding the eddies â€“ Movement ecology of flight." Max Planck Institute for Ornithology, Seminar Series. Radolfzell. 2009.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest and atmosphere at a tree-crown resolution." Computational Geo-Ecology Group Seminar Series. Amsterdam. 2009.
- "Current state and future vision for incorporating weather data in MovBank." Movebank - Waterbird Tracking Workshop. Radolfzell. 2009.
- "Interactions between forest and atmosphere: The tree-crown point of view." Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, BAMBI seminar series. Barro Colorado Island. 2009.
- "Incorporating weather data in MovBank." Movebank Workshop to Analyze Global Raptor Migration Tracking Data. Kempton. 2009.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest structure and forest function at the atmospheric surface layer." Seminar Series, The Inter-University Institute for Marine Research. Eilat. 2009.
- "Modeling the interactions between forest structure and forest function." Research Seminar, USDA Forest Service in East Lansing Michigan. Lansing. 2009.
- "Ventilation of animal shelters in wildland fire scenarios." 4th International Fire Ecology and Management Congress. Savannah. 2009.
- "Roughness, evaporation and surprisingly difficult surface interactions - Eddy flux observations of ORW and beyond." Olentangy River Wetland Research Park, "On Your Way Home" Seminar Series. Columbus. 2009.
- "Development of modeling tools for predicting smoke dispersion from low-intensity fires." 4th International Fire Ecology and Management Congress. Savannah. 2009.
- "Ocean-Land-Atmosphere Model (OLAM) â€“ A new approach for simulation of transport and dispersion." SERDP-ESTCP Symposium 2009: Partners in Environmental Technology. Washington. 2009.
- "Eddy flux observations of evaporation and vapor advection in the Gulf of Aqaba (Eilat), northern Red Sea." Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Physical Oceanography Seminar. Woods Hole. 2009.
- "Tree-scale hydrometeorology: simulating the effects of forest heterogeneity on atmosphere-biosphere interactions." Research Seminar, US Forest Service Station in Delaware Ohio. Delaware. 2008.
- "Simulating the effects of tree-scale canopy structure on atmosphere biosphere interactions." CEE 880 Seminar in Environmental and Water Resource Engineering Program. Ann Arbor. 2008.
- "Small scale surface heterogeneity effect on atmospheric-boundary layer turbulence â€“ Potential application for optimization of wind turbine location." Institute for Energy and the Environment - Poster Session. Columbus. 2008.